Need suggestions to help sheep during hot (115 degree (F)) weather

FunInTheSun

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We are in Oregon and are expecting several days of 100+ degree heat, with one day forecasted at 115 degrees (F). This is very unusual weather for our area. Our sheep have been sheared, have shade and plenty of fresh water. Is there anything else we can do to help them get through this heat wave? Thank you!

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly with sheep, but with horses, if you can give them fans in the shade so that they can relax in moving air, maybe give them a concrete slab to lay on in the shade (barn isle or similar if available). Cool water. And try to keep them as calm as possible so they just lay around and stay cool rather than being up and moving around and getting hotter.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly with sheep, but with horses, if you can give them fans in the shade so that they can relax in moving air, maybe give them a concrete slab to lay on in the shade (barn isle or similar if available). Cool water. And try to keep them as calm as possible so they just lay around and stay cool rather than being up and moving around and getting hotter.
All sounds good to me! Since they are sheared you could try to hose them off however....my sheep at least hate water like the plague. If you cant do fans make the shade be outside someplace in the open so they can get any possible breeze. If you have any type of woods in your pasture you can try luring them over there as wooded areas are always cooler then non-wooded areas.

FunInTheSun

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
All sounds good to me! Since they are sheared you could try to hose them off however....my sheep at least hate water like the plague. If you cant do fans make the shade be outside someplace in the open so they can get any possible breeze. If you have any type of woods in your pasture you can try luring them over there as wooded areas are always cooler then non-wooded areas.
Yup - our sheep hate the water, too! Unfortunately, there isn't ANY wind forecasted with this hot weather. When we had a steer, we set up an industrial-sized fan in the barn and he would just stand right in front of it, like a dog out a car window! We'll do the same for the sheep - at least it will get some air moving for them. Thanks for your help!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are in east Texas, HOT and humid. Our “barn” is really a lean to off the side of a 23’ portable building. It extends out 20’ and has only the one side. We put radiant heat barrier under the metal roof and it lowers the temperature about 15 degrees. The sheep will go to the pasture gate and yell at me to go back home in the heat of the day! LOL

All the above advice is good. Only thing I have to add is to slightly wet the area in front of the fan. Use a hose nozzle with a mist setting. The fan on the damp area will evaporate the water and be more cooling.

FunInTheSun

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh, good idea to put water in front of the fan. As much as they hate a sprinkler/rain, they might tolerate and even appreciate a mister and it will probably just cool the surrounding air a bit! Thank you! If we keep experiencing this kind of heat (hopefully this is just a one-off!), we'll look into putting up a radiant heat barrier as our barn is also a pole building with a metal roof.
We are in east Texas, HOT and humid. Our “barn” is really a lean to off the side of a 23’ portable building. It extends out 20’ and has only the one side. We put radiant heat barrier under the metal roof and it lowers the temperature about 15 degrees. The sheep will go to the pasture gate and yell at me to go back home in the heat of the day! LOL

All the above advice is good. Only thing I have to add is to slightly wet the area in front of the fan. Use a hose nozzle with a mist setting. The fan on the damp area will evaporate the water and be more cooling.

GoateeMcfee

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I dont have a clue about sheep, but ive got the same forecast here up in Washington. I find hydration is the most important. I set up fans where most needed. Ive got baby quail that just hatched so im taking those inside even though thats a bit odd. Mostly though for my cow and goats Ive been hosing them down with cold water. They absolutely hate it but when I can get them close enough I just spray the crap out of them😂. Same with the dogs but they love it.