New babies!!!!

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Cheyenne had her babies early this morning!! She was showing some signs last night so I brought her in, so glad it did, got up this morning and there they were!! She had 3, but when was dead :( The other two are very healthy though. I had some trouble with her not letting them nurse at first, but now all is good. I'm trying to upload pics, but photobucket wont let me sign in.

I have a quick questions though. They're still in my horse's stall. Should I take them out during the day and being them in at night? It's still been getting below freezing here, had 11 this morning! And I also have a fainting goat with my sheep and some times he gets a little ruff when he plays. Before I bring the lambs out should I separate him and maybe try him with my ram? The goat is a weather. I just don't want him to hurt the babies.

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
2016-04-09 11.51.51.jpg
20160409_113105.jpg
20160409_113023.jpg
20160409_112934.jpg
20160409_112742.jpg
20160409_112139.jpg
20160409_112059.jpg

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on two nice lambs, sorry one didn't make it. I don't have any experience with goats, hopefully someone that does can chime in.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are adorable. I love your name Cheyenne.

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you, and thank you!! She was named when I got her, but all my other sheep have Star Wars names (and any lambs I keep). I'm avid fan lol. ;) Amee should be lambing anytime now too, her sides are starting to sink in and her bottom is getting more swollen/pink. Depending on how she looks tonight I may also put her in a stall just to be on the safe side. She would be a first timer where Cheyenne is going on 6 and has had babies before (this was her first with me though).

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope she kids fine and is a good mother.

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you, me too :)

Reactions: TAH

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the 2 survivors, they're beautiful! :love Did you do a sex check on them? I hope they're ewes for you! As for the wether goat, you could try placing him with the ram and see what happens, but I'd be standing by at first to make sure all is good. Especially if there's a major size/weight difference.

Since the weather is so cold, I'd consider leaving mom and the youngsters inside for a few days just to ensure neither lamb gets separated and chilled. Hope you have the room to spare with another ewe getting ready to lamb. You could also make little sweaters for them, many folks on here do. Cheyenne (I like the name too) seems to be doing a good job as a mom, of course as you said, she's very experienced.

Good luck with the upcoming Amee! :fl

Reactions: TAH

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you!!! Yes, both are ewes. I'll try that, there is a size difference for sure so will definitely watch them.

Sweaters would be so cute! She is doing good :D

Amee just had her babies a couple hours ago, twin ram lambs!! I was shocked to see twins! Being a first timer and her size I thought for sure it would have just been one! Both seem healthy and strong. They're having trouble nursing though so I'm a little concerned about that. I did have to squeeze her teats and get the wax plugs out. I'll try and post some pics quick. They're mostly white with some brown spots on the smaller one. Hard to tell as they're still 'orangey'. Cheyenne's were the same size, but you can definitely see a size difference with Amee's. Hoping the smaller one makes it. Now Padme's the only one left!