New forum idea

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
What about "Feed, Forages and Pastures/Rangeland" ? Or is that too long?

Okay, so here's my reason why we should have a new category: Like kstaven said, the differences in topography and microclimate affect the type of pastures that a farm has. I've been on a tour on a ranch one time and the differences between what was on top of the hill or on the hills were significantly different from what was grown in more flatter areas and what were grown in the wetter areas. That's obviously your typical rangeland. With tame pastures, it's almost the same thing, except when you got monocultures of timothy that are grown for export. It's different for growing grain, all plants in one area are the same no matter what, and how they're fed is somewhat different than pasturing animals; a.k.a in a drylot in most cases.

Kitty, I know you already see where I'm going and the idea for a different title for this forum is better, because when I first came on here, when it said "feeding time" I got the sense that it was only dedicated to feeding drylot cows grain, silage and hay, and had nothing to do with pasture, pasture management, identification of different grasses or weeds that grew in the pastures, and rangeland. That's why I asked about making a separate forum on that. I hope I didn't come out as "wanting" to step on anyone's toes, it was just an idea that popped up from a tired mind that decided to stay on the computer a little later than necessary. :/

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
WRB, No toes stepped on. I can see where you are coming from.

But, I also want you guys to see it's a process for changing or adding categories. I get requests for changes and some are considered and others fit in a existing category. I want you guys to argue this one to Nifty it will give you more of an idea on what is behind the process and a chance to get your opinions to Nifty.

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Great discussion everyone!

There are a lot of nuances to forum / category naming and management and they are / will always be changing as the community grows and changes.

I'm going to have to rely heavily on you guys and the BYCows staff since I'm not as qualified to make the final decisions.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
I haven't seen rotational grazing touched, yet. It's an art and a science... and I am not sure where it would fit because it is both feeding and pasturing. It is also effective for back yard cows!

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Imissmygirls said:
I haven't seen rotational grazing touched, yet. It's an art and a science... and I am not sure where it would fit because it is both feeding and pasturing. It is also effective for back yard cows!
All types of pasture management is both an art and a science. MIG, swath grazing, stockpiling, rotational grazing, common-use grazing, the list goes on.

You should see what I had to work on in my range management course!