New here

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Used to hear Bob Whites calling, never hear them anymore. Fire ants have contributed to their demise. Also modern grasses that form a matt and not clumps. The clumping grasses leave trails between the clumps, protection from hawks and such.
I had them about 6/7 years caged out back for off season training. Hens would whistle every morning. I miss watching them hatch out, running around, so little.
Foxes, hawks, development, too long of a hunting season, and a couple bad Winters with heavy lingering snow pack just about wiped them out here.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Killdeer and wood thrush are gone. Trees got cut down, some houses got added same old story. Upside; I don't know there name but big woodpeckers have come back.

Lizzy733

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome!

I'm new here as well. Rabbits can be quite the handful and I've only ever kept them as pets. When DH and I discussed rabbits for food on the new block, we both came to a quick no.

My pets are now more the feathered and scaly variety and soon to be wooly as well.

How big is your flock?
Do you have a large patch, or are you a backyard keeper?

If you ever run into issues with your birds, I've seen quite a lot from my time volunteering at our local avian rescue. Also, BYH's sister site, Backyard Chickens is a good place to go for some quick and insightful info too.

BarnOwl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a great plan. Coturnix quail are fun---mine were very prolific and quick growing. I rehomed mine as I found I just didn't need them with chickens too, but occasionally I wish I still had them.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Killdeer and wood thrush are gone. Trees got cut down, some houses got added same old story. Upside; I don't know there name but big woodpeckers have come back.
You must be talking about Pileated Woodpeckers. They are big! They require old growth timber for territory. I love to hear their calls. They like the bugs found in dead trees, so when we have dead pine trees and cut them down, I place them longways to help control water run off and erosion, but also for the wood peckers to hammer on for the insects in them.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You must be talking about Pileated Woodpeckers. They are big! They require old growth timber for territory. I love to hear their calls. They like the bugs found in dead trees, so when we have dead pine trees and cut them down, I place them longways to help control water run off and erosion, but also for the wood peckers to hammer on for the insects in them.

Yep that's them, loud crazy call, funny way they fly, great website you referenced. Thank you.

Latest posts