New here...

sparkles2307

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sad news. The got Milk calf squeezed out of the fence thru a gap next to the waterer on Friday. Apparently she slipped on the ice and couldnt get her footing, froze to death 5 feet from her poor momma, who is now beside herself looking for her baby. We had a tearful weekend at our house. :(

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, seems to make it even harder when you can't explain it to the poor mama cow.

sparkles2307

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I know! My DH is used to it all after so many years but I am new to this and as far as I am concerned they all have feelings and know whats going on... and it was her first calf and shese been such a dear to us for the last 18 months...and then she got bred early when the dratted bull jumped the fence and we thought this calf would kill her...and just when it looked like its be ok the poor thing decided to be curious like all calves are and took the wrong exit... uf dah try telling your 4 year old why that baby is dead...:(

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's hard on the kids. We explained to our girls that the animal went up to heaven to be with God, Jesus, and whatever friends or family members are up there.

sparkles2307

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yeah I told him that the calf was in cow heaven now and he seemed to like that idea.
If it had only been the "insane one" who lost her calf we could sell/butcher her... but we cant bear the thought of eating our Fall Calf Heifer so we just have to feed her all summer now...

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You're keeping the insane one because of the calf, from what I understand. Do you think the cow that lost her calf would foster the insane one's calf? Now, would be the time to try to graft her over, if you want to give it a try. You would have to lock them separate from the rest of the herd so they would have time to bond.

Just a thought.

sparkles2307

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
You're keeping the insane one because of the calf, from what I understand. Do you think the cow that lost her calf would foster the insane one's calf? Now, would be the time to try to graft her over, if you want to give it a try. You would have to lock them separate from the rest of the herd so they would have time to bond.

Just a thought.
LOL you should have SEEN the effort we put into that very idea on Saturday!!! We have about 4 very agressive mamma's and in the process of sorting between pens to get the calf from the mean one in with the poor mamma the DH was running from several cows while i weilded a 2x4. The mamma loved the idea of a new calf, but when we milked her into the calf's mouth she gurggled and spat it out like we fed her poison! She wouldnt eat all day and kept running away when the poor mamma tried to nuzzle and lick her. Finally we gave up and the calf went right back to the mean one and nursed like she had been starved! and we wont bring a disease ridden dairy calf from the sale barn in for her so I guess we will just feed her for a summer. She shouldnt really have had a calf now anyways so it is all balancing out the way nature intends.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
Farmer Kitty said:

Just a thought.
LOL you should have SEEN the effort we put into that very idea on Saturday!!! We have about 4 very agressive mamma's and in the process of sorting between pens to get the calf from the mean one in with the poor mamma the DH was running from several cows while i weilded a 2x4. The mamma loved the idea of a new calf, but when we milked her into the calf's mouth she gurggled and spat it out like we fed her poison! She wouldnt eat all day and kept running away when the poor mamma tried to nuzzle and lick her. Finally we gave up and the calf went right back to the mean one and nursed like she had been starved! and we wont bring a disease ridden dairy calf from the sale barn in for her so I guess we will just feed her for a summer. She shouldnt really have had a calf now anyways so it is all balancing out the way nature intends.
You should have just fed her a little from a bottle and left them together a bit longer.

Your in MN and there are a lot of cattle there. Maybe try one direct from a farmer instead of the auction barn.