New Kid parents Northern California!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome! We're considering another, just a bit older than Dex. I am bottle feeding him, and have some questions... is there a good bottle feeding thread you know of that I might take a look at? He's getting castrated in a couple weeks... I heard the boys can be pretty smelly otherwise!

There are a few on here unfortunately they are all for standard goats, from what I remember.

We bottle feed our babies... Nigerians, Miniatures, and Standards.
Each is fed different amounts depending on their age.

Your boy is 3 weeks now?
How much and how often are you feeding?

my farm partner @Goat Whisperer is our farm's bottle feeding guru... she has just been tagged LOL so she can respond... she is better than I. If you can just let us know what you are doing now.

Yes... bucks do MUCH more than just get a little stinky... not sure you want such graphic details though :lol:

Dextersmom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes, saw your response. :D I don't know if you're on a phone, tablet or desktop... But right above where you type, there's a "tool bar" to select for example Bold or Italic or Underline etc. A little further over, just past the smiley face (where you click to open a LOWER smiley :celebrate tool bar) there's what looks like a picture (mouse over it will say "image")... click that to add a picture. Next looks like 2 strips of film, you'd click that to add media (video). You can add more than one pic per post but I think the limit is 10, and I believe you have to have posted 10-15 times before you're allowed to post pictures.

If you go up top (on left) and click on Forums, then scroll down to the goat area, there are 7 tabs to choose from all about various subjects dealing with goats. There's a wealth of info in there about care and feeding as well as all sorts of other useful info and experiences. You don't need to buy the book "raising goats for dummies"... you'll get all that and more here for free, and the biggest plus... If you ever get into a situation when you really need help, like NOW, there's normally someone on here that can get your questions answered relatively quickly. Can't get THAT with a book ;) Well, unless you know the author personally I guess...

As for poisonous plants, Here's one list: http://poisonousplants.ansci.cornell.edu/goatlist.html
I'm on my phone at the moment, but I see it!:ep Hahaha! Thank you so much for the info!:clap
20160222_142358.jpg

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ohhhh he is adorable! :love

LOL we still have 2 of our 9 in the house. They are 2 of our quints and just too tiny to be outside at night. They do go out with the other kids in the day. But they are slightly snobbish now... like they are to god for the "barn" goats. :lol:

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Regarding poisonous plants, We have several cherry trees that our goats love. So I don't think it is a problem. He is sooo cute :love

Dextersmom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
There are a few on here unfortunately they are all for standard goats, from what I remember.

We bottle feed our babies... Nigerians, Miniatures, and Standards.
Each is fed different amounts depending on their age.

Your boy is 3 weeks now?
How much and how often are you feeding?

my farm partner @Goat Whisperer is our farm's bottle feeding guru... she has just been tagged LOL so she can respond... she is better than I. If you can just let us know what you are doing now.

Yes... bucks do MUCH more than just get a little stinky... not sure you want such graphic details though :lol:
He just turned 2 weeks yesterday. He's eating 5 oz every 4 hours :popexcept at night - he sleeps through - He'd eat more, but I'm afraid of him bloating .. should he be eating more?

Reactions: TAH

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Regarding poisonous plants, We have several cherry trees that our goats love. So I don't think it is a problem. He is sooo cute :love
If it's the same as for sheep, cherry tree leaves that are still on the tree (that the goats/sheep can reach) are ok, and eating the leaves that drop naturally in the fall is ok, too. It's when a branch breaks off the tree, and falls to the ground, and the leaves start wilting, and the goats/sheep eat the wilting leaves - that's the dangerous stage. Wilting cherry leaves develop some kind of cyanide, and it won't take much to poison livestock. I know it's bad for horses, too, and probably cows as well.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I believe someone else had this question quite a bit back and the general consensus was as long as they don't eat them as their sole source of food, it shouldn't be a big deal... I believe they can eat a snack every now and again with minimal damage done, but I don't know for certain.

Dextersmom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ohhhh he is adorable! :love

LOL we still have 2 of our 9 in the house. They are 2 of our quints and just too tiny to be outside at night. They do go out with the other kids in the day. But they are slightly snobbish now... like they are to god for the "barn" goats. :lol:
Thank you! How big are your little ones?
How big should they be before staying out? He likes to be warm!