New kid, weak and cold

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here are some additional tips for you.
Baby goats are either mother-raised or bottle-fed, and it's important to know which yours is. If a baby goat has been raised by its mother, then it will nurse from her until about 6-8 weeks of age. If it's been bottle-fed, then it will drink from a bottle until 6-8 weeks of age. :):):)
Do you have goats?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
But is it better to sell wethers or bucks?
I wish I had the perfect answer to that, lol. I've found that it is easier to sell bucks/bucklings if they're registered. Occasionally you will find someone who wants a pet wether or a companion for a buck - but around here a lot of folks want wethers for meat.

Last edited:

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wish I had the perfect answer to that, lol. I've found that it is easier to sell buck if they're registered. Occasionally you will find someone who wants a pet wether or a companion for a buck - but around here a lot of folks want wethers for meat.
Even a Nigerian dwarf or Pygmy? To be perfectly honest...we did end up eating Chester...because I had to make a tough decision...too cheap or eat him. It’s not very good. Chris finally found a way to cook it that’s decent, but, people around here...goats are a luxury....we’ll see how they look..if they are lookers...maybe bucks..:)

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even a Nigerian dwarf or Pygmy? To be perfectly honest...we did end up eating Chester...because I had to make a tough decision...too cheap or eat him. It’s not very good. Chris finally found a way to cook it that’s decent, but, people around here...goats are a luxury....we’ll see how they look..if they are lookers...maybe bucks..:)

We weather all our bucklings, we find it easier to sell that way. Any wethers not sold by early fall get processed and into our freezer. We have Nigies and mini-manches, they don't have a lot of meat but we can't keep them all. We get roasts and ground meat which is used to make gyros.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even a Nigerian dwarf or Pygmy?
Didn't realize you were speaking of little ones. We've eaten pygmy goats - they are small but a good pygmy is a meaty pygmy! I wether most bucklings born here unless someone has requested a buckling ahead of time. Wethers make herd management much easier for me. Most of my ethnic meat customers will purchase a young buckling for meat but others prefer wethers. Just luck of the draw.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
We weather all our bucklings, we find it easier to sell that way. Any wethers not sold by early fall get processed and into our freezer. We have Nigies and mini-manches, they don't have a lot of meat but we can't keep them all. We get roasts and ground meat which is used to make gyros.
Perhaps you can give me recipes if I can’t sell mine? I know I don’t want to have to build more fencing and have more barns...I want to put more pot belly pigs in those spots...I think.. I might be tooo overwhelmEd with these goat kids?!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Y
Didn't realize you were speaking of little ones. We've eaten pygmy goats - they are small but a good pygmy is a meaty pygmy! I wether most bucklings born here unless someone has requested a buckling ahead of time. Wethers make herd management much easier for me. Most of my ethnic meat customers will purchase a young buckling for meat but others prefer wethers. Just luck of the draw.
eah, my buck was a pain in the butt.. I think Im leaning towards wethers...how long do you keep them before selling..and when do you have to separate bucks?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
It just depends. I have a lot of goats...I've sold bottle babies when I've lost a doe or had one with problems. In those cases I'll have purchaser bring that buck baby back to me later to wether if that's their choice. I've sold them freshly weaned, and I've sold them at 8 months to a year as meat goats. I have people contact me when they want a goat - I always try to have something available, lol

With mixed sex litters I start watching for testicular development in the little guys. You can't always count on their behavior as a sign because they start practicing early, lol. When the testicles start growing or when they become able to extend their penis - they get separated. I start really looking at about 7-8 weeks. I've rarely left a buckling with his sister past 10 weeks -12 weeks. You just have to be very watchful.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm in uncharted territory.
Our first doe kidded last night. Evidently I didn't get them enough minerals. Sigh. We were expecting 2 (by vet ultrasound) and there were three.
First one - still born. About 1/3 of normal size. She blocked up traffic, of course, which caused the rest.

2nd - I thought she was gone. We pulled her out and roughed her up. She is with us. Kicks, cries out occasionally, has taken some colostrum. Not much sucking, but some and she is swollowing. Hasn't tried to stand, but we have had her in arms most of the time. She is dry, and exhausted. I'm guessing we pulled her out about 5:30 and it is 8:00 here. We have been messing with her most of the time.
Ok, so now what do I do? Her temp is 100.4. We were using a hair dryer. I just took a blanket out of the dryer and wrapped her in that. She's in the house with us.

Her eyes - she doesn't seem to shut them. I mean I have seen her shut them, but it is like she can't rest. My daughter says they are red now.

I'm super worried about pneumonia because she was so slow getting started. She has sneezed some.

Please help. I have not dealt with any of this before.

3rd - remember how we were expecting 2? My husband gloved up again, after we had worked on number 2 for a while, just to make sure and ended up pulling out a third. If we had known...but it was to late. She was gone. Fully formed. Beautiful. :(:hit

Anything we should do for mama? She got molasses water, some grain and Alfalfa. My daughter milked her out. She's a Saanen, and with triplets she is going to have lots. Haven't seen an after birth yet, which is wierd...

THANK YOU
personally I give MFO solution 50-60 CC's for 3 days that'll help with possible milk fever and you're replacing the things she has lost. given the fact that you were in her and that you are waiting on placenta I would do two things I would give a couple of cc's of oxytocin that'll help clean her out. I would also based on her weight give 10 or 12 cc's of penicillin once a day for 3 days as a basic precaution. as for the baby I would make sure she stayed warm continue to try to get her some colostrum even if you have to do a week kid syringe, and possibly give her some vitamins. having lost triplets all born dead Monday I feel for you.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here are some additional tips for you.
Baby goats are either mother-raised or bottle-fed, and it's important to know which yours is. If a baby goat has been raised by its mother, then it will nurse from her until about 6-8 weeks of age. If it's been bottle-fed, then it will drink from a bottle until 6-8 weeks of age. :):):)
You had better feed them longer than 6 weeks if you want them to grow well and be healthy. Their rumen isn't even fully developed at that point. I feed a bottle a minimum of 10 to 12 weeks. you can introduce the other food earlier but I feed three times a day for 4-6 weeks and then I move down to twice a day and then I moved once a day. Or better yet get one of the great caprine buckets and just let them drink.

Last edited: