New kid with diarrhea

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you!
We have given 1 of the 5 treatments. Should we do bleach today or wait a few days for the treatment to kick in? You’re my goat hero! Thanks again!
Definitely get cleaning today. Also what is the pens ground like and how big? Does water pool or is it dry for the most part?

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure what your pen looks like or if it has good drainage? Plus your location is helpful. Adding gravel and sand definitely helps in low pooling areas and then it dries quickly.

Daisy Mae

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm not sure what your pen looks like or if it has good drainage? Plus your location is helpful. Adding gravel and sand definitely helps in low pooling areas and then it dries quickly.

I can’t thank you enough!
Our pen is about 1000 square feet. 2 mini goat kids. It drains really well and it will be in the sun today. The goat house is a little bit of a concern, but my husband thought that we could clean it first and close it off with a fan inside to hopefully dry it out after cleaning. We would then clean the pen while the goats are in another area. Then let them back once it has been rinsed and it is dry. It should dry out fast because it’s going to be a hot day.
We were going to get one more kid in a few weeks. Should that be put on hold?
Thank you!!!!!

MoreAU

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We clean the goat house daily and clean up poop, but he said to bleach everything.
Thank you for any advice!

Just a thought, you might want to keep the poop separate from your regular compost/manure pile. You don't want the Coccidiosis a chance to spread throughout it. I'd even consider bagging the poop and putting it out for trash until you have it under control.

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can’t thank you enough!
Our pen is about 1000 square feet. 2 mini goat kids. It drains really well and it will be in the sun today. The goat house is a little bit of a concern, but my husband thought that we could clean it first and close it off with a fan inside to hopefully dry it out after cleaning. We would then clean the pen while the goats are in another area. Then let them back once it has been rinsed and it is dry. It should dry out fast because it’s going to be a hot day.
We were going to get one more kid in a few weeks. Should that be put on hold?
Thank you!!!!!
Sounds good. Generally once you treat them and get rid of the coccidiosis it won't be an issue. Keeping up with the cleaning and proper management of manure piles is good. Don't allow them near the manure piles. Baby animals are really sensitive to coccidiosis because they don't have strong enough immune systems.
You definitely can get another baby but ensure that everything is safe for new baby.
Your doing great.

Daisy Mae

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sounds good. Generally once you treat them and get rid of the coccidiosis it won't be an issue. Keeping up with the cleaning and proper management of manure piles is good. Don't allow them near the manure piles. Baby animals are really sensitive to coccidiosis because they don't have strong enough immune systems.
You definitely can get another baby but ensure that everything is safe for new baby.
Your doing great.

Thank you! Yes, we’ve been keeping everything separate because we figured that something was happening and we didn’t want to contaminate our property.
Thank you so very much! We are off to clean! Good thing it isn’t a pandemic and bleach is not hard to find! Lol. Thank goodness we have a bleach stash!
Take care and thank you!

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
My friend with goats also mentioned after you really clean the pen and if still signs of loose poops have a spray bottle of the bleach and clean as you need too during the next few weeks. Rake up the loose poop and bleach.

Latest posts