New Llama owner

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If stressed or mad they can and sometimes do spit. There are 2 different "spits". One is whatever they have in their mouth. Maybe food or a bit of moisture. The other one comes from the rumnen. It is the yucky one. Stinks wicked. Both my llamas or alpacas didn't spit at me but they did spit at each other and strangers that got in their face. If they put their ears back and move their mouth I move back.
Depending on where you're from about the shade. I live(d) in hot humid regions. Shade is not enough. Kiddie pools were great but they LOVE sprinklers or hoses.
I saddle (picture a horse saddle) cut my llamas by hand, they weren't that hairy but had my alpacas sheared once a year. I used a halter and tied them in a cool spot to trim feet or fiber. I also used a long handle garden loppers for my llama's toes, just trimmed the points off. alpacas would stand for trimming, llama didn't and fought a bit.
Mine were guards, friends, I didn't bother training to much, they did what I needed with limited handling. They are forgers so not as wormy, at least mine were. We got maintenance done with little stress.

Really I think they are easy keepers compared to some.

ScottsSilkies

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all your help. I have been having a hard time figuring out what to feed my llama.
I was told Sheep / Goat food, but he won't eat it. I tried sweet feed and he kinda nibbled. Then I found
out about Llama Food. Now that he really likes. How much llama feed would be appropriate? He eats
coastal hay and leaves. Will soon be out of quarantine and on pasture. Thanks again.

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I fed 12% all stock (sweet feed) when I fed grain but they usually just ate hay and pasture grass. Grain was more a treat and because I was feeding the pregnant ewes. Also cause it kept him/them checking in on me. Alpacas needed a bit more than my llama but I think that's because my hay has a less nutrition here than in AR. I go on body condition and I don't let anything get fat.
Maybe 1/4 lb a day. But adjusted on body condition.

Again, they are pretty easy keepers. I don't usually feed what the bag says to feed, they want you to buy more food so usually it's more than they need.

And my other post... That's foragers not forgers! Meaning they ate high like bushes and tree leaves if they could.

Be careful of acorns. I sold my llama when I moved to CO. 3 years later he died, he was only about 9 which is not old for a llama. I'm pretty sure he died of acorn poisoning. Some years are worse than others for acorns. He ate the them other times but the new owners told me he had gorged on them that week. :(

I just sold my alpacas a few months ago. I think I was looking for an animal like my llama and these 2 were just not it. Maybe because I had 2?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Alpacas are definitely more standoffish than llamas. I wouldn't feed him a lot of grain. Maybe a cup a day if you want to give him something.

ScottsSilkies

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers. I really appreciate the help. I found this very informative video on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yvYWYYkoPo
It's over an hour long, and I've only seen the 1st 20 minutes of it.
Just thought I'd share it. Maybe it will help someone else.

ScottsSilkies

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am curious about the acorn poisoning. It's ok for them to eat acorns, but just not too many at one time?
Is there any other things that I should watch for?
I know china berries are bad for them.

Rose Grey Alpaca

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If he is skittish, I've found that luring them in with treats helps. Spend some more time with him, and let him get used to you. Time and patience...