New Mamma goats do I need to milk?

BugGal

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok so We got 2 boer goats with their babies 3 days ago. The babies are with friends of ours that do goat yoga... we have never milked goats before and these goats are not super friendly but they are starting to warm up to us. The kids are only a few weeks old and the mom's were nursing them up until 3 days ago. What do we need to do with the nannies? Do we need to milk them? Do we leave them alone? One of the mom's is thin, and we are wanting her to get healthy and gain some weight. Is it better to let her reabsorb the milk or do we need to milk?
As you can tell by this thread we are new to goats
TIA
Lisa

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
How are the babies eating? Are they bottle babies? If so, what are you (your friends) using in the bottles to feed them? If the moms aren't in distress from over full udders, then leave them alone. If they are in pain/hurting from over filling, then you can milk some out to relieve the pressure. Or if you want the milk, then start milking them. I'm just wondering what the kids are doing for milk...

BugGal

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Our friends own a petting zoo and have lots of bottle babies and they are feeding them the same thing their bottle babies are eating. They have lots of does that they can get milk from but I think most of the food is from formula.
My main concern is the moms right now. One of the mom's gave birth 3 weeks ago, she is doing good as far as weight. The other mom is very skinny. She gave birth 2 weeks ago to twins. I am wondering if she was putting all of her energy into making milk for the little ones and depriving herself of the nutrients that she is needing. Before my friends took the babies the 3 week old was doing great, the 2 week old's... 1 had pneumonia and the other was doing good. My friends are medicating and they are saying that the 1 with pneumonia is doing better.
Will the moms absorb the milk? or will it just continue to build? Will the utters burst? Like I said I am new to this.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have just stopped milking and let the does dry up and I have also done this with Boers when I have sold their kids. That being said, it is not the preferred way of doing things. It would really be best if you could milk out the does every few days or at least milk them enough to make them comfortable and then increase the time between milking. Also, cut back on the grain which is hard if you have one you are trying to fatten up.

Have you ever milked a goat?

BugGal

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
No, I have never milked anything. My husband has. That being said I guess he is on milk duty today. ;-)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, since you said the goats were not "friendly" and a little jumpy, you really should give it a go as well. They and you can learn together! :D

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad your DH is able to help. You shouldn't have to do it very often as most Boers are not the over achievers in the milk department like dairy stock.

Jeanne Sheridan

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Glad your DH is able to help. You shouldn't have to do it very often as most Boers are not the over achievers in the milk department like dairy stock.
LOL I really like your comment like your comment about Boers not being over achievers. I was lucky to get 2 cups from our one Boer last year. My best Nubians do 2 quarts per milking. The boer also hates the milking stand. We had enough milk from the other does that I just stopped trying with her.