New mini farm, and want to raise a few sheep

6Happiness

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I was worried about raising a ram lamb- if either what I did, or his genetics/disposition would result in his becoming aggressive, and I wouldn't know until he grew up and then i'd have to figure out what oto do with him....

So I am getting an adult ram who is 3 yrs old... I got my wethers from the same breeder, and she is placing this ram because he is too closely related to the ewes she decided to keep for breeding. So I know what I am getting right away- I don't have to wait to see what a ram lamb matures into. He was also a little less expensive than buying a ram lamb since most people want lambs not adults.

So that's another option you might want to think about if you are considering a ram at all.

Oh Also, speaking of "mini" farms/flocks... My flock consists of only 4 sheep..... 2 wethers, one ewe, one ram. I have only 1/3rd acre so I didn't want to have lots of sheep, or even lots of lambs every year. 2 lambs a year are perfect for us. If I wanted more lambs, i could have done 2 ewes.

Sable

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
6Happiness said:
I was worried about raising a ram lamb- if either what I did, or his genetics/disposition would result in his becoming aggressive, and I wouldn't know until he grew up and then i'd have to figure out what oto do with him....

So I am getting an adult ram who is 3 yrs old... I got my wethers from the same breeder, and she is placing this ram because he is too closely related to the ewes she decided to keep for breeding. So I know what I am getting right away- I don't have to wait to see what a ram lamb matures into. He was also a little less expensive than buying a ram lamb since most people want lambs not adults.

So that's another option you might want to think about if you are considering a ram at all.

Oh Also, speaking of "mini" farms/flocks... My flock consists of only 4 sheep..... 2 wethers, one ewe, one ram. I have only 1/3rd acre so I didn't want to have lots of sheep, or even lots of lambs every year. 2 lambs a year are perfect for us. If I wanted more lambs, i could have done 2 ewes.
That's a great idea! Also, the sheep will have a run in stall, and several trees to get under if necessary, so we're good to go there!

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Was reading about sheep and shelters and thinking mine must be pretty spoiled...LOL...first few drops of rain and they all head for their shelter...so...guess they think they are sweeter than sugar and might melt in the rain:lol: