new pig and goat mom

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
there are no small breeds that look like those boars. The small breeds have very different characteristics.

X2

If you want to raise 'medium' sized pigs you could cross a smaller boar to a larger sow. Or, sell them all and buy something that you really want. I've got America Guinea Hogs and they fill the bill for me. They are a medium sized pig and have good personalities and are easy to handle.

Good luck!

brittanymullin

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So what should I do since I can breed the boars to the sow? Plz help

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry you've had a rough start! Are you intending to raise pigs for meat or as pets? You could sell some or all of them, or have one or both of the boars castrated, although you might need to pay a vet to do it unless you know someone very experienced who can do it.

brittanymullin

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We intend to raise them to sell and for meat...

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Personally, I would get rid of the pot belly, castrate a male and raise it for meat, and buy a new sow. Then breed the boar you kept with your new, large breed sow.

brittanymullin

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
How do i get rid of it does anyone buy pot bellys?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I agree with NHH... Put an add on craigs list to sell the PBP. You can look and see if anyone already has one for sale to estimate price. Or you can just list it for sale for a little more than you paid for it. Pick the best of the remaining two boars and let him keep his jewels. the other, get castrated and raise it simply for meat. The go buy 1 or 2 gilts (young females) or a sow, of the same breed as the boar and you should be in business. You can then sell any or all of the potential baby piglets, or keep a couple and start a breeding program.

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I agree, Yorkshire. I will say that it might be better to breed pot bellies the first time as they are smaller and cheaper. If you would like to breed pigs you can go on to the larger breeds but if something goes wrong you won't have much invested, pig, feed, or fence. If you want yorkshires than go. Do it. More power to ya. It's just that I'd start with a 'test pig'.

Also, you may want to research keeping them all together. IDK if it would be a problem with the PB so small. Well, I guess you would have them separate anyway to keep 'm from breeding.

Anyway, welcome to BYH!!

MW

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
No you definitely do not want to breed the full size pig to the potbelly pig.

The two boars look 2-4 months old and wont be able to breed until they are 6+ months old reliably.

They are definitely yorkshire,.... landrace and chester white have flop ears.

Are you sure they did not come castrated? It is not uncommon for people to buy boy pigs and find out later that they bought barrows and assumed they were boars.

The Yorks with proper(meat pig) feed which should be 18-21% protein will be 225-275lbs by the time they are 6 months old aka breeding age. They will also be 2-3 times the size they are now just by breeding age.

Most generally you do not want to keep two boars in the same pen with just one gilt/sow.

Potbelly pigs do not make good meat pigs as far as the american consumer is generally concerned. The meat tastes different and the carcass weight/yield isnt really worth the work. To compare a standard size meat pig will give you about 120-180lbs of meat...the potbelly pig we butchered gave us 55lbs of meat and two 5 gallon buckets of lard. We did not like the meat it tastes sweet and has a different texture, we made 55lbs of breakfast sausage but even then the texture was different then normal pork sausage and not exactly in a better way.

I would agree sell the gilt/sow....and sell one of the York's or castrate one and get a standard size gilt/sow. Unless you want piglets in Jan/Feb you have a little bit of time. Piglets need around 90 degrees mom pig needs about 65 degrees to be comfy.

The Nubian is good for a pet or meat.