New piglets looking bony- not enough milk?

WildHarmonyFarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just had 2 new litters. One litter (born last Friday night, 4/5/13) is doing great, 10 piglets, mother nursing well, they all look healthy, active, and robust (even the 2 smaller ones). The other litter (born very early Sunday morning, 4/7/13) doesn't seem to be doing as well. 8 piglets- they aren't as active, and a couple of them just don't look like they're getting enough milk. Much smaller and and they look thin and bony. The mother does nurse them, but maybe she doesn't have enough? She was kind of unpredictable during farrowing, and was a little aggressive towards the other mother & piglets (they were sharing a fenceline) so I'm afraid to go into the pen or try to handle any babies. Not really sure what to do, or IF I should do anything. I have a couple of small jars of raw goats milk in the freezer, but nothing else. Should I try to supplement, and if so, with what? Also not sure if I could get it to the babies without the mother getting it first. Trying to think of a way to get a creep area where they're at.

Heirloom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A tough decision. Let nature take it's course, survival of the fittest.....or try to rescue. If you can get a protected side area that only the piglets can enter, you can supplement them. Be careful if you go in and make sure you can jump your fence in 1 second flat. Mom has enough teets? Do they look engorged and possibly painful?

Make sure both Mom's are getting plenty of Sow ration, if that is what you feed. Lactation production takes a heavy toll on the Mom's and they need lots of calories.

As I eluded to in your other post, piglets from this litter are probably best as feeders only. You don't want the weak mothering and small litter traits in your breeding stock.

EDIT: Is this a first litter for one or both?

WildHarmonyFarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The mother has 13 teats, and there are 8 piglets. Not swollen, and she gives the piglets plenty of nursing time. First time litters for both moms. This pig is 2 years old, the other mom is just 1 year old. I'm not sure which other post you're referring to- this was my first post concerning the babies, so maybe you were thinking of someone else?

The babies are still doing fine, although a bit skinny, and I haven't done anything additional. They're actually all starting to taste the feed given to the moms already so that should help. Feed was doubled from the normal ration, plus 1 lb additional for each piglet they're nursing. They get fed a combination of pellet feed, fermented grains, protein pellets, and rice bran. Yes, all of this litter of babies is for meat, as well as the mother. We have 3 females, 1 of which was going to the freezer- we just hadn't decided which one for sure until now. The other sow is just a way better mother, and her piglets seem to be little "super-pigs"!

Thanks for your input- any other suggestions or tips would be much appreciated, as this is my first time, too :)

Cindy

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Let nature take it's course, survival of the fittest
This would be my advice PLUS give her another chance. If next time she is not a good mother then make her into sausage & do not keep any of her piglets to breed from.

Hope they do well. Sometimes first time mothers don't quite get it & next time around all is well.

Just make sure the mamas are getting plenty to eat. That is vital to milk production.

Liz