New Poster

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I turn mine out in the yard. The weeds they don’t eat can be cut down with a battery weed eater. So 6 months of the year you have grass and 6 months of the year you have cold and maybe snow. Not much nutrition in that white stuff! LOL

What grasses are on your place?

KatahdinsRock

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I turn mine out in the yard. The weeds they don’t eat can be cut down with a battery weed eater. So 6 months of the year you have grass and 6 months of the year you have cold and maybe snow. Not much nutrition in that white stuff! LOL

What grasses are on your place?
No but I do have a hay provider for 2nd cut and fill my barn in the summer months while they are eating grass for the winter months lol. Not the best scenario but it works. Currently have my Momma and two babies in the barn and the rest are still grazing on the grass but get hay in the morning and night no grain needed

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
You still have grass? All snow covered here 40ish miles north. Not MUCH snow, not enough to snowshoe on. Supposed to get 7-8" on Monday, assuming we don't freeze to death tomorrow. Low of -12 with windchill -36. I assume your forecast is similar. DW has to drive the 35 miles to work in the morning, I only have to walk the ~100' to the barn.

KatahdinsRock

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You still have grass? All snow covered here 40ish miles north. Not MUCH snow, not enough to snowshoe on. Supposed to get 7-8" on Monday, assuming we don't freeze to death tomorrow. Low of -12 with windchill -36. I assume your forecast is similar. DW has to drive the 35 miles to work in the morning, I only have to walk the ~100' to the barn.
They will dig for the grass under the snow, plus I have wooded areas where there isn't much snow, but it's not very nutritious right now so they are getting hay twice a day as much as they can eat during the day. Come March when things warm up they will have free access to the entire yard to eat to their hearts content. We will rotational graze them through 12 pasture spaces that will be fenced. We are also hoping that the neighbors behind us will sell us there property which would bring us up to 5 acres total. Fingers crossed.

Latest posts