New to Goats, New to farms... New to it all! From NC

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like the others said, goat poo is great because it can be swept or raked. :) The boots aren't really for the poo, but with these NC rains you can get some muddy areas. I usually were slogger slip on's from TSC during the summer.

We compost ours along with spent hay, pine bedding, etc.

Dogma

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello and welcome. I too am a new goat mommy and freaking out. I just want what's best for them. :) so many differing opinions on websites...like raising children ;) I have two bred Nigerian Dwarf goats, one is 5 and her daughter is 1-2 years. Both are due in mid March. Good luck and I look forward to learning and being the best goat mommy I can be. Thank you all

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Dogma This is the best site in the world for new goatie moms. You will get lots of different opinions, and info to back it all up, that way you can make a good INFORMED decision any time you have to make a choice. Everyone here is willing to give great advice and tell stories to explain choices they have made, and even say "I don't know" when they don't know. BYHers are honest and like to get involved with each others problems, not to be big shots, but with a sincere desire to help everyone else have the best backyard farming experience possible. I'm sure you'll grow to love it here just like I have, and it won't take long! Welcome.:welcome

Fellow composters, don't forget that blood is a great addition to compost. Anytime you butcher, toss that in as well. Of course, the smell isn't exactly rosy :sick but the benefit is great!

Ericka

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@Dogma that so fun! Can't wait to hear more about your adventures. I am totally absorbing all that I can from these fine folks on the farm. Getting more and more excite by the day. I am hunting for blogs and local farms all over. We found a farmer who is selling their entire herd just down the road! While I am not up for buying the herd, she is totally willing to give me a tour and show me the do's and things she wished she had known. I am pretty darn excited about that too!

@sadieml i think my kids would melt if I butchered their pets. LOL. we currently just have chickens, but i can't imagine them being too keen on eating "bubbles" or "snowflake" for dinner and tossing them to the garden LOL ;)