New To Goats!!

Dolly1218

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Well ok, I will be moving to Maine soon, Im currently in Colorado, and Im trying to start a little hobby farm for myself not really for selling anything at this time anyway! I am looking for a very cold hardy breed of goat. I also need a more friendly breed as I have young children that will most certainly want to be around them. I will be using the goats for milk and my family drinks about 3 gallons/month, I will probably only get 2 to start and see how it goes.. Anyone have any suggestions on a very cold hardy, friendly breed of goat? Oh Im also new to goats, if that changes the breed you all suggest. Thank you all so much!!

Rebbetzin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
BYHCountessGreen.jpg

Being I am in Arizona, I am really no help for you.
I help milk three Nubians, they are good with kids
and have lots of nice milk. But, not sure how they
would do in the cold. They do great in the heat!

fmizula

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
i have had nubians. saanans and now nigerian dwarfs and they are all just fine here on a mountain top in vermont. they grow big thick coats and cuddle up in winter. so long as you have a draft free and dry home they should be just fine.

MrsDieselEngineer

The Goat Lady
Reaction score
I live in NH right near the Maine border and we have Boers, an Oberhasli and a Toggenberg. Goats do just fine up here if you have good shelter for them.

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am wayyyy up in Northern NY. I have Saanen, Oberhasli, nubian and pygmy goats and they all do well in the cold weather. I don't have a barn but I have a goat hut and like I said. I have had no problems with the cold. My Nubian and Oberhasli are the best with the kids(that I have) :)

:welcome

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I love our Nigerians. They are easy to handle and maintain (Need to shave a doe? You can just have someone hold her on their lap while you trim :) )and give a good deal of milk for their size.

HankTheTank

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:welcome I have Nigerians too, and they don't mind the cold much. They're very friendly, and a good size for small children.

jerebear7

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
HankTheTank said:
:welcome I have Nigerians too, and they don't mind the cold much. They're very friendly, and a good size for small children.
X2! Nigerians are great companions! :thumbsup our nigerians get enough winter 'poof' to keep them warm.

SassyKat6181

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am in Western Massachusetts and just put in a reservation for two doelings this spring from a woman in New Hampshire that breeds Nigerians. I am a beginner just like you and have a 4 yr old son and 20 month old daughter. I have heard Nigerians are great with small children and wonderful milkers for a small family. Good luck!