New to goats

cooky

Just born
Reaction score
They don't have access to the chicken feed, but they do get the scraps of fermented grains, field peas, and sunflower seeds that the birds don't eat. Not very much on the grains though as our birds clean that up pretty fast and we don't let the goats into the area until 3 hours after we've fed the chickens. Today they got a pile of nice green grass. They also have access to wheat straw since we use it for bedding. I really don't want to deal with bloat. They are getting pellets too.

We usually feed fodder to the birds and rabbits but had to stop when we went on vacation but we are three days back into the growing so they'll get that everyday. We grow a mix of wheat, oats, sunflower seeds, winter peas, and corn for seven days so we get a nice growth of green tops. Does anyone else use fodder systems?

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Haven't done fodder, but I have a LOT of critters.

Don't let scours (diarrhea) go on too long. Treat it. Check out the scours section: Scours

Good luck!

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I didn;t know goats cant eat tomato plants! Mine have eaten them often. What's in them that's bad?

kayjv98

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Give them lots of love and they will become your bestfriends,mine were terrified of me when i first got them now they cant stand to be away from me ,there like dogs they follow me erverywhere!!!lol

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use a fodder system, the goats like it a little bit, they don't go crazy for it. I mostly feed it to my poultry, I can save more money feeding it to them, as soon as we get our second system set up I will be able to feed more to the goats and see if it helps with their feed bill.

6210_cam00396.jpg

6210_cam00697.jpg

nmred

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
as soon as we get our second system set up I will be able to feed more to the goats and see if it helps with their feed bill.
I think you will see a difference. We did. Feeding fodder cut our hay usage in half! It would have been more, but the size of our system wouldn't allow us to feed more fodder. The biggest advantage, at least for me, was that their milk production went up! I got 1 - 1 1/2 cups more per milking, and this was a little over half way through their lactation cycle!