1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Update on our 4 piggies - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

New to Sheep

Discussion in 'Everything Else Sheep' started by AimeeDx, May 4, 2017.

1. May 5, 2017
    AimeeDx

AimeeDx Ridin' The Range

Okay, We'll go with electric fence :)
    The secure little area we will be locking them up in at night is close to the house so we hope the dogs won't go there as much, plus we have our "guard dog" (a mini poodle who always attacks random peoples dogs when they go after our chickens) and she would be able to see the corral, so hopefully she will bark if any dogs go near, we were also thinking maybe bells would wake us up if they started running?

2. May 5, 2017
    Gorman Farm

Gorman Farm Overrun with beasties

I have katahdin hair sheep and a dorper/katahdin ewe. I love them they are great. I use the woven fence with the smaller holes 4 ft high, and I have a dog that stays out with the sheep. I highly recommend a guard dog that stays with the sheep for predator control, even with that we put our sheep up in a barn at night. We have coyotes, bears, loose dogs and such here. A ram does give you some protection from predators, but there are other things to consider with rams, they are not as easy to live with. We sold our ram because he was getting too aggressive, and I did not want to inbreed him back to his own off-spring. Our current ram lamb is going to be wethered in a few days so he can remain with the herd.