New to this community

Sundownfam

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi there we’re a family of ten ( 2 adult children no longer living in the homestead) we live in a forest and farm land area and are raising small beards of pigs 8, 1 expecting, rabbits 18, 1 expecting, goats 4, hoping 1 expecting and chickens.
We are currently trying to help one of two rescue pigmy goats ( lost the other one) with a hole in his head where the horn was removed. It’s a significant sized hole. I read up on here about rinsing with iodine as my daughter said it appears that some flies may have payed eggs and that there may be a couple worms. So we are going to try to rinse with diluted iodine and cover with gauze. We’ve called the vet but aren’t in a place currently to have a vet bill. If anyone has any experience with or advise for us we would welcome it. Thanks.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
We just had a adult bucks horn removed last month. Vet said to use fly spray to keep flies off and so they won't lay , keep uncovered so the air will help heal the area , ...and clean with the diluted iodine if it was really needed. Any sign of infection , he said to contact his office as the nasal cavity that is under the removed horn area can be a real problem if infected...
Good luck with the goats and please keep us posted on their progress.
Hello and welcome to BYH :frow...happy to have you join us ....

Sundownfam

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks we’ll clean it up and get some spray on it.

Sundownfam

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We just had a adult bucks horn removed last month. Vet said to use fly spray to keep flies off and so they won't lay , keep uncovered so the air will help heal the area , ...and clean with the diluted iodine if it was really needed. Any sign of infection , he said to contact his office as the nasal cavity that is under the removed horn area can be a real problem if infected...
Good luck with the goats and please keep us posted on their progress.
Hello and welcome to BYH :frow...happy to have you join us ....
She just came back from treating him and saw more maggots.. yuck... any suggestions..

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’m not sure if it will work on your goat, but I’ve treated maggots on baby opossums with a dog and cat flea spray and a mascara wand. Use the wand to remove the eggs, it works like a dream and the flea spritz will kill on contact. I’m sorry I can’t remember what it’s called, but it’s a blue prints bottle with a golden retriever on the front.

Sundownfam

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I’m not sure if it will work on your goat, but I’ve treated maggots on baby opossums with a dog and cat flea spray and a mascara wand. Use the wand to remove the eggs, it works like a dream and the flea spritz will kill on contact. I’m sorry I can’t remember what it’s called, but it’s a blue prints bottle with a golden retriever on the front.
Ok I’m not sure my daughter is up to picking them out and would the spray be safe on open wounds?

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok I’m not sure my daughter is up to picking them out and would the spray be safe on open wounds?
If it’s still an open wound then probably not. Hydrogen peroxide should kill them though.

Sundownfam

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok this is our update.
My daughter cleaned out the hole as well as she could and rinsed it with a salt water solution and then the watered down iodine. We have access to penicillin so we gave him a shot to be sure he wasn’t getting an infection. When we checked on him his hole was cleaned out but he has removed the gauze we had wrapped on it to keep out the flies. We were also given salve for open wounds and will apply that in the morning. Still haven’t heard back from the vet so only going with what our farming neighbours are suggesting. Praying for him to get a rest tonight as this has stressed him a bit. He was given to us in rough shape so he’s been working really hard to get healthy..