New Zealand Whites

Goatzilla

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes Jenna, I'm in RI. I'm over in Tiverton. You probably have seen this rabbit before. I often use this pic when I run ads on Craigslist to sell breeding stock. Another thing too. If you are showing rabbits in the New England area, you have probably seen some of this rabbit's cousins on the show table up for Best in Show" nearly every show. I got my foundation stock from Jim B., who is the NZW breeder out of Westport MA. He has won more BIS than anyone I know. I am an old friend of his and visit his rabbitry every once in a while. Part of the reason that everyone has such a hard time beating him is because he keeps around 125 rabbits, and they all look like clones of each other. He always has a fresh batch of show rabbits to rotate out. Many times a breeder will have a certain "hot rabbit" that wins a couple in a row then they're done because they don't have another one as good to replace him after the show circuit takes it's toll and sucks away the bun's conditioning from the constant stress.

I used to show rabbits really seriously during the 90's. I raised Netherland Dwarf, Florida Whites, and dabbled a bit in Satins. I used to go to all of the Nats and Conventions, and even placed well and won some huge classes with FW's and ND's. I don't think that I would ever go that route again but you never know. I recently found and bought a few FW's that trace back to my old line of stock that I was winning with years ago.
JoieDeViveRabbitry said:
Goatzilla,
This is going to sound odd, but that pic of your NZ buck looks REALLY familiar. Are you in RI?

JoieDeViveRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I knew it! I went out on a limb there but I knew I had seen that pic/rabbit before.
I'm in Coventry. How many NZW do you keep?

Goatzilla

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I currently have a pretty small rabbitry. I concentrate mostly on my birds. I'm working with 15 holes and I keep 4 NZW brood does. I also play around a little and I have a Standard Chin doe that I cross with my NZW buck. The offspring are all chin colored, but they have NZ type. They end up looking like a Std chin on steroids. I also have a really decent Californian doe that I cross with the NZ buck to make purely meat rabbits.

I primarily focus on selling breeding stock, and I will sell only the best, so I occasionally end up with a few NZ culls that get whacked. I also send the crosses to freezer camp. I don't normally sell processed rabbits, but I can easily set you up with a couple the next time I process a batch. I'll get in touch when they are available and you can come take a ride and check out my little menagerie.
JoieDeViveRabbitry said:
I knew it! I went out on a limb there but I knew I had seen that pic/rabbit before.
I'm in Coventry. How many NZW do you keep?

JoieDeViveRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That would be great!

I currently have 15 holes right now myself. Though I am expanding :lol: (by the moment it seems!)