Newbie question- not eating or drinking much - second day!!!

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just put the DMSO in a spray bottle. And spray it on.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
How is your Vinny doing today?

Firemedichagy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
DMSO is juice from a tree. You should be able to get it from any farm store. Here is a recipe that will help get him to drink water.
Qaurt of warm water
A drizzle of molasses
Or corn syrup.
Hope gets well.

Got the DMSO yesterday, what is the best way to apply it, do you dilute and how much do you put on your does knee????
So many questions, so thankful for you guys!!

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just put in a spray bottle. I just spray one squirt per knee once a day. I do not dilute it. I do put a few drops of lavender oil.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
DMSO is juice from a tree. You should be able to get it from any farm store.
I've never heard DMSO described that way, interesting.

Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) is a solvent, chemically produced from a byproduct of wood pulp production. It can penetrate the skin and carry things into it (think transdermal drugs). It's also anti-inflammatory, so it's often used as a horse linament.

The stuff you get at a farm store may be industrial grade or medical grade - medical grade is better but more expensive. Because it's a solvent and will carry compounds into your skin, you should wear gloves when using it (rubber, neoprene or latex, not nitrile). If it gets on your skin, you may get a garlic taste in your mouth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_sulfoxide

Good luck with your goat.

Firemedichagy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you both so much!! :thumbsup
I'm at work now. His appetite has improved (yay) and he's drinking again.. Not as much as I would like but it seems that's his thing lately.. The limp is sooo bad when he's been down for a bit. And after he's up its not much better. I assume it will take a few days for the anti-inflammatory meds to kick in :(
But I am definitely going to use the DMSO tomorrow morning. Heck, probably tonight when I get home!!
You have been a lifesaver TAH :love
his doc wasn't too interested in sharing any knowledge...ughhhh :he

Firemedichagy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've never heard DMSO described that way, interesting.

Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) is a solvent, chemically produced from a byproduct of wood pulp production. It can penetrate the skin and carry things into it (think transdermal drugs). It's also anti-inflammatory, so it's often used as a horse linament.

The stuff you get at a farm store may be industrial grade or medical grade - medical grade is better but more expensive. Because it's a solvent and will carry compounds into your skin, you should wear gloves when using it (rubber, neoprene or latex, not nitrile). If it gets on your skin, you may get a garlic taste in your mouth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_sulfoxide

Good luck with your goat.

Thanks Norseofcourse!!

I am going to definitely add this to the stack of stuff I have found on DMSO. I really appreciate the link. I feel a lot better when I know more about what I'm using. Found out my neighbor has been using it all over for all kinds of things for yrs. (bee stings, sprains, bruises, cyst, etc..) Amazing stuff.

Having first hand knowledge from the BYH'ers that have actually used it
makes me a whole lot more comfortable :)

Now, I feel like it's something I can use and (fingers crossed) get him some pain relief.