Newbie questions!

CentexSweetheart

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I think I can help with the tick situation, it's a little more work than attaching a hose to a spray bottle, but if you can get your hands on some food grade diatomaceous earth (I may have spelled that wrong...) you can actually use it sort of like flea powder, and powder your animals coats. It will work on any pest with an exoskeleton. I'd keep it away from the face as you aren't supposed to inhale it and I don't think animals should either, but I know for a fact this stuff works really well. Just make sure it's food grade and not the pool filter kind.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Diatomaceous-Earth_vq21.htm

^here is a link with some basic information about it. I've never put it in feed before, so I'm not sure exactly what they're talking about there...

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Excited for you and your launch into owning sheep!!!! But beware...they are addictive and you will want more...then a ram so that you can experience baby lambs...we've built onto our sheep shelter twice now!

lilfoot

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So glad to have found this forum....always enjoyed Backyard Chickens & now I have a whole new group of Sheepie people to chat with.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
But the goaties are more fun. ;)

Just kidding! Yes it really is a great place for sharing, learning, and talking about our farms! :)

Welcome to Backyard Herds! :frow

lilfoot

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ohhh I have those too!
Little goats galore....& a big Boer.
Chickens, ducks, turkeys, mini horses, donkeys....