Newbie questions

happy acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
1. How do you get the cashmere off the goat?
2. Same question for Angora rabbits.
I don't want to hurt my animals, so killing and skinning is not an option.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know about the goats, but my friend who has Angora rabbits says you can pluck or shear them. Plucking should only take off the hair that's ready to come out, you don't yank it all out. And she shears hers with scissors (carefully).

happy acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Would the loose hairs come off with brushing? And how would I turn it into yarn? I don't know how to spin (yet) ,so I'd probably have to send it somewhere. How much hair does it take for a skein?

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, you can brush out loose hair and use that, too. It may just take a bit longer to get enough to work with. Learning to spin with a drop spindle isn't hard, is there a spinners/weavers guild anywhere in your area? Check with 4H groups, the local agricultural society, the folks that run the county fair, or try the SCA ( sca.org to find a local group), they often have members that do fiber stuff.

Sending it somewhere would be more expensive, and the mills around here have a minimum amount of fiber you have to send - I think one was five pounds minimum for turning it into yarn. Besides, working with your own fiber is fun!

happy acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks! I don't know of a guild around here anywhere. I'll have to check into it and find out.