Newbie!

OriginPoint

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
How's it going y'all? I'm Stacie and a complete newbie to owning animals, other than my two kids.

We recently purchased a small piece of property in Dinwiddie, VA. We are native to the state but new to the country living - I like to think we are returning to our roots, city folk who realized we needed to return to nature and raise our kids to appreciate the beauty and hard work living on a small homestead. We are hoping to add two doe Nigerian dwarf goats, 10 chickens and a large garden. As a newbie I'm totally open to suggestions and ideas on how to get started.

Last edited:

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! There are so many experienced and helpful people here. Start reading the forums on the topics you’re interested in and you’ll find a TON of info! I lurked a long time just absorbing the info before I ever even posted.

I, too, am a city girl who now loves living in the country (from city of 7 million to town of 500!). I love my goats, sheep, chickens, ducks, kunekune pigs, and of course my LGDs. It’s intimidating but you only truly learn by doing. :)

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH!

I think having kids do animal chores is an excellent way to raise kids.

As to gardening, most people say start small, so the weeding doesn't overwhelm you.

I say...have your kids help you pick what you will grow. Even little kids, age 3 and up, can be responsible for one plant that is all theirs. You can remind them to water it... but if it dies or whatever... you lovingly explain what went wrong, and help them try again. It is such a great learning tool.

But kids with gardens and animals are so much fun.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! Living the dream! Congratulations on your move to the good life. There is lots of good posts to read. I lurked here for a long time, finally joined, then it was 5 years before I got my sheep. People here are the best on the internet!

Madhouse Pullet

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Picture_20201122_135616424.jpg

Latest posts