Newborn Goat Can't Stand

Geronimo Creek Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thus afternoon still no change and very lethargic. I gave him another dose of BoSE since it had been 24 hours and a dose of the B vitamin complex. Getting a little bummed

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would probably have the vet take a look at him. I sure hope it turns out okay for ya. Welcome to the Group and hope ya keep us informed of your findings.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You want to be careful with the Bose... Selenium can be poison if you OD it... Vet visit might be in order if you have/know a livestock vet who has some familiarity with goats.

Geronimo Creek Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yea in reading online I gave him 1/4cc yesterday and 1/4 today with no more. 1/2Cc of the B vitamin this eve.

I called the vet and they didn't have an opening. If he makes it through the weekend we will see how it goes.

Geronimo Creek Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So I wanted to give an update on the baby goat for everyone. After day 5 or 6 (and about 12+ hours of my time), I tapped out and called my brother in law (we have a family farm). I told him that if they wanted to keep the little guy alive they can, but I just ran out of time and energy. It has been about 2 weeks now and mamma has been put back with the herd, JR is being bottle fed, and still in the same boat. His improvements since going to the bottle have been: 1. He is a lot peppier, more vocal, and can stand (if placed there) for a while. He can now get up on his back two legs and up to the kneeling position with his front two, but still not all of the way up. I think they are going to try to splint his legs (my brother in law is a physical therapist and also builds prosthetics) as they have been doing physical therapy on his legs every day. We will see. Thanks for everyone's help!

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hope he continues to improve. Sometimes you just have to "check to the power" and at least by giving him to your BIL you gave him a chance. Thanks for the update.

Geronimo Creek Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
As I wrote the post this morning I get a video of the little bugger getting up on his own. We will see.

Geronimo Creek Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just wanted to update everyone. He now has a name, thinks he is a human, won't assimilate into the herd, and probably is a little mentally "special." My brother and sister in law stepped in when I was giving up and pulled him through.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
That's great news! Thanks for letting us know :D And the best part is he's no longer your (special) problem "child" :celebrate:gig