Newborn NG in extreme heat

Countrylife60

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a 2 day old buckling who appears to be struggling with this extreme heat. The past 2 days have been extremely hot and tomorrow is supposed to be 106 degrees. I have a metal insulated barn with 3 exhaust fans. This doesn't seem to be helping much. He is mouth open and panting most of the time except at night. Mom does not want him to leave the barn yet during the day to join her and the other goats outside where there is lots of shade and at least some wind blowing. I get it...she is doing what she thinks is best but she isn't struggling like him. I have a feed/misc room inside the barn with a window AC unit that I currently have set at 78 degrees. Should I place the baby in this cooled room during the day and let him out to nurse mom every few hours then be with her all night? Just looking for suggestions and/or solutions...Thanks

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've lost more babies from pneumonia in the heat than I ever have in the cold. Their little newborn lungs just don't seem to be able to cope. I'd take his temp and see how he's handling it - open mouth breathing is never good for these guys. It's possible he's already leaning towards pneumonia.

If it were my goat - I'd do exactly like you're talking about and give him a break from the heat. I wouldn't want him going back and forth to extreme temp differences so you may have to give him a good 12 hours so that when he goes back out in the evenings there's not such an extreme change. Can you bring mom into the room long enough for him to nurse?

Glad you noticed his problems. Trust your instincts on this one!

Latest posts