Newby in AK getting 3 month old kids with a few questions

AkTomboy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am getting 2 does and 3 month old kids and was wondering if they will still be needing a heatlamp or jackets? I live in Alaska as the title says and right now we are getting to 31-33 at night 50+ in the day. I wasnt planning on getting them so early in the year so it kinda put a kink in my first set of plans. Thanks for the help

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
AkTomboy said:
I am getting 2 does and 3 month old kids and was wondering if they will still be needing a heatlamp or jackets? I live in Alaska as the title says and right now we are getting to 31-33 at night 50+ in the day. I wasnt planning on getting them so early in the year so it kinda put a kink in my first set of plans. Thanks for the help
I would say that they shouldn't still need the jackets/sweaters(unless they are going to be outside) but to go ahead and keep doing the heat lamp. don't want them getting sick.

AkTomboy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They will be able to go in and out, I will also see and ask how they are being kept tomorrow when we pick them up. I dont want to make it any more stressful for them than it has to be. Thanks for the reply :D Any other helpful hints for a newby (I have researched them for 3 years prior to now) would be welcomed :D

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
I have to ask, cause I was just rereading your post... are you getting three 1 month old kids, or some 3 month old kids? If they are 3 months old, then they shouldn't need a jacket at all, but if they are only 1 month old then, yes, they need coats.

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm glad your finally getting some A! Right now for my day old kids they only use the heat lamp when the sun isn't directly shining on them, and all night. Last night it was 40 when we went out there to check on them before heading to bed and the lamp was off. They weren't shivering or anything, but they did enjoy the heat lamp once we turned it on.

scrambledmess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Mine were without heat lamps at 3 months and we had a several nights drop into the 30s or a bit lower. But I have 5 kids who would pile on top of each other to sleep. What breed are yours? The smaller breeds may not be able to handle the colder temps either if there are just two of them.

AkTomboy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
scrambledmess said:
Mine were without heat lamps at 3 months and we had a several nights drop into the 30s or a bit lower. But I have 5 kids who would pile on top of each other to sleep. What breed are yours? The smaller breeds may not be able to handle the colder temps either if there are just two of them.
Sorry they are NDs ~ I put jackets on them last night and had a lamp overhead as well lots of straw. Thanks for the help :D

aklabrecque

Just born
Reaction score
I live in Eagle River and have a small herd I would for sure have them under a heat lamp Jackets are not necessary What works great is a small area that they can crawl into with a heat lamp, I also will bring mine inside. Call me if you have any other ??????? 694-9302