Nigerian quads!

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My first freshener Nigie had quadruplets this morning! 2 bucklings and two doelings. All are healthy, but the runt is only 1.5 pounds and super skinny and weak. I have been syringe feeding her colostrum, and I think I'm going to syringe feed all of them the first day except the biggest buckling just to make sure they get enough colostrum. I did give the other doeling a syringe or two, but she coughed a couple times and now I'm worried she might have gotten some in her lungs because she's breathing funny. Should I be worried? Should I tube feed instead?
Also, here's some pics because they are too adorable not to share!

Attachments

• IMG_20230830_073545786_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230830_073545786_HDR.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20230830_073557240.jpg
    IMG_20230830_073557240.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 84

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, it looks like it'll be an all nighter for me. They aren't able to suckle on their own still, so I'm feeding them with a medicine dropper. Every two hours:thHopefully my efforts are rewarded with four healthy, boucing baby goats in a few days!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Will they suckle your finger? Is their mouth warm? Be sure they're warm or they won't nurse. Do you have a baby bottle and nipple available? They're tiny, so need the small baby nipple.

Usually the colostrum brings them around as the sugars get them going. Please let us know how they're doing. It sounds like you have a handle on it and I'm hoping it works out well.

We're pulling for you!

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you! Yes, they're warm and they have gotten a couple ounces of colostrum each. I tried the bottle and they won't suck, although two have suckled briefly on mom. I put them by her an encourage them to nurse every time I feed them. I'm giving them between 1/2 to 1 oz per feeding from a medicine dropper. This seems to be working, they are a bit stronger and looking interested in nursing though they aren't quite there yet. Mom isn't happy with all the interferance, but she's cooperating better than I expected.
Thanks for the encouragement! I have a feeling I'll need it the next few days. My family has been joking that it's like I had a baby.😁 I'm used to sheep which are way more low maintenance.

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I had a long but good night. Kids are stronger, trying to nurse and all but one have nursed briefly. I do have to fight them hard to get the milk into them! Thy don't want to swallow, and they like to spit it all over me and scream. But I got roughly 2 oz into each overnight.

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You’re doing a good job - keep up the good work it’ll be well worth it when you see them bounce around in a week. 😊
If you get your finger kinda deep into their mouth you may be able to get a sucking reflex started.
I tried letting them suck my finger like you suggested, and they started sucking, but when I stuck the bottle in they stopped and just let it sit. I'm using a pritchard nipple, maybe I need to get a softer one that feels more like mom.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could try getting the milk to run / dribble on you finger somehow. But what you’re doing seems to be working so maybe just “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” is another approach. 😊