Not eating?

needtohatch

Just born
Reaction score
We have 2 females about 10 months old and one male around 4/5 months old. A week ago I opened a new bag of feed, the next day I noticed one of the females was not eating. I knew it was odd because I really have to watch her feed as she tends to over eat. I waited 2 days and by then the other 2 were not eating, so I went to a different store and got another brand and gave them that. That was Wed, by Fri the male and other female were eating normal again. The first female to go off her feed is still not eating! The only thing she will eat is the bit of alfalfa that I pick out of the hay feild. I have only given her a small hand full 3 times since Tues. I really think it was the feed, but don't know why others are back to eating and she is not. Any ideas are welcome! Thanks.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
They won't eat if they don't have enough water, so you might check your waterer. If you use the nipple waterer, is it working properly? Is it leaking out before she gets enough and it looks like she is actually drinking it? This has happened to us before.

Some rabbits also won't eat much if they are too hot. Different rabbits respond to the heat in different ways. You might put a ice bottle in her cage for her to lie against or even freeze her water bottle and let it melt cool water for her all day.

If she is using the crock style waterer, is she dumping it out before she gets hydrated?

They cannot digest well if they cannot drink.

Other than for that, I've never had a rabbit go off her feed before. Maybe they do if they are in heat? Mine never did, but this may be a possibility?

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If your rabbits are not seperated and they are still intact the doe may be gestating and ready to kindle...Some of my does stop eating 2 days before they kindle like clockwork...You may be in for some kits.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If she were here, she would get bene-bac.
Is this a new feed? What was she eating before you bought the bag of feed she refuses?

needtohatch

Just born
Reaction score
I don't think it is the heat as it has been cool here this week (uper 70s to low 80s). She is seperated and has never been bred. She seems to be drinking at about the same rate as the other 2. I had gotten the feed at the same local feed store since we got them untill they stopped eating. When they stopped eating I went to TSC and got a new bag. The only thing to change other than the new bag of feed was the mineral wheel in her cage, I had a salt one that she finished. Maybe I will try changing that back to a salt one. If she is in heat, how would I tell? What is bene-bac and where would I get it?
Thanks for all the replies!

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You can get bene-bac from stores like petsmart or petco. I order mine through Jeffers. I'd give a little 2-3 times a day.

rebecca100

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Try checking her teeth. If they are overgrown then she will quit eating. Was the other feed spoiled?

needtohatch

Just born
Reaction score
The only issue with checking her teeth is that she is not friendly at all. She does not even like me touching her let alone picking her up. The rabbits were my hubby's idea and then he ended up driving truck and is only home 4 days a month :rant They have not been handled much so I will have to get help just to get her out of the cage. The food did not look or smell spoiled so I am not sure why they quit eating. The other two are eating fine on the new bag, but this one will only eat the grass hay or alfalfa still. I do make sure they have something to chew on in their cages, so did not think about teeth. Also she ate fine (would even over eat when the kids fed her) till I got that one bag. If she does not eat soon, I may just haul her in to the vet.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You can take a towel to restrain the rabbit. Place the towel over the entire rabbit before getting hold of the rabbit to take it out of the cage. When I have a mean one, I use the towel and I have someone hold the rabbit upside down wrapped up on their lap while I very carefully look at the front teeth. I just gently lift the upper lip/lower to get a peek.
Yes, a trip to the vet wouldn't be a bad idea.

Latest posts