Oak Knoll Farms - My New Journey

Oakknollfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Be careful of the horse boarding. Make sure you have a written agreement on everything you provide, what the owner is responsible for, EVERYTHING. Make sure you get paid up front for each month. Many horse people are known for not paying bills. I had horses, and was around alot of them as a younger person, so I can say this with knowledge and experience. Many are just regular decent working people... but some are not.
MAKE SURE YOU ARE INSURED. Horse farms have certain exemptions for liabilities, but make sure you are covered.
Are you experienced with horses? I think you mentioned that your grandfather had horses, so I am assuming you are. Realize they will eat the bark off the trees just like a goat, they will graze the grass into the dirt if you are not careful and they don't have enough room. They are real herd animals,,,,,and if you think chickens pecking orders are bad, watch for horses. They can be worse. Some get along real good.... some just don't. Injuries come from one having an attitude, and can come from just "horse play".

Fences are very important, and getting their feet into woven wire fence can be a problem. They will "ride down a fence " if they want out, or want something on the other side.....Many on this side of the blue ridge use the woven wire or horse wire with a board on the top. That means posts every 8 feet so that the fencing boards can be nailed on the top. Electric works for most once they are acclimated to it.... We grew up with barbed wire but to board a horse at a place with barbed wire is asking for a law suit. High tensile is okay if it is electrified; but don't even run them in high tensile that is not electrified. If they get a foot caught up, it can be a very horrible thing. Board fencing is terribly expensive.....

I am saying this from experience and from working at a boarding stable years ago when people were not so "sue crazy". @Mini Horses on this forum has mini horses, several retired animals, stallions and all. She used to show. They are more handleable due to their size.... but I am sure no less troublesome. I had appaloosa's and a couple of 1/2 percheron geldings that I was training to pull logs and such, but had to sell when I had to move. Kept my one old mare til she died, at 27. But she was acclimated to the cattle and was happy being out "free" on pasture....retired.

Good luck but be very careful. One other thing to think about. People with horses boarded there will also disturb your privacy. Vehicles driving in and out, people there, all sorts of things. Might be something for you to take into consideration.

Thank you so much for al of the info! It’s appreciated. There is so much to think about, but I also have to make the land work for me in order to keep and maintain it, so I have to do something to make it start generating a real income. I probably neglected to say that I currently work for an equine boarding facility and have about 30+ years horse experience. 🙂