Official BYH Poll - New Year New You...Resolution Time!

Pick one or pick a few, it's all up to YOU! Be sure to elaborate down below.

• Eat healthier

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Get in shape

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Declutter

• Help more

• Teach someone something

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Learn something new

• Fix something

• Volunteer

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Spend less

• Quit smoking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Be more patient

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Just do it!

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Change nothing, I am perfect🙄

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Sleep more/less. (To bed @ normal time/wake earlier)

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (elaborate in comments)

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

Madhouse Pullet

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Merry Christmas! 🎄

@Madhouse Pullet .... knees are a combination of several things. First off, injury to left knee as teenager, thrown off horse, came down wrong.... but it pretty much healed up with time.... then right knee has had a couple injuries.... car accidents ( not my fault) that wound up with a torn medial meniscus, orthoscopic surgery.... But alot of it is just many years of hard use. I waitressed for years....hard concrete floors.... then years of milking cows, again concrete floors..... and 30 years of milk testing in barns.... hard concrete floors..... It is as much hard use on hard floors..... but the couple of accidents really added to it. Right knee has been bad for 10+ years but ankle was worse.... that was from years of injuries and sprains.... and the replacement on that has been absolutely wonderful...... Getting the ankle fixed and painfree, made the pain in the knees just seem twice what it was.... case of take away the worst pain(ankle) and the next worse(right knee) gets more pronounced.......both knees are nearly equal in damage/worn out non-existent meniscus padding...... so get them both done in one shot and be done with the pain.
Word to the wise...... take care of your joints and try to not be on hard concrete floors, pounding for hours day after day... waitressing is one of the hardest things you can do to the knees.
Wow! You've been one busy bee! Truly amazing but I cannot imagine being on my feet so much. But then again, you do what you gotta do to get the job done. Waitresses work so hard! My dad was disabled from numerous injuries (bring a kid or work related) but he had a knee replacement about 10 years ago for just one and he had said it was the hardest recovery being immobile.
I can imagine wanting to get it over with; as painful as it be, it may not be as long waiting on each leg to heal.
I don't do resolutions once a year...I do them nearly every day. Once a year doesn't give anyone any practice, which is why few ever follow through on new year's resolutions. If a person wants to truly resolve to do better, it should be a daily resolve and accompanied with prayer for help in doing so. I accomplish nothing of any good on my own.
I know where you're coming from. It's definitely an every day practice and discipline. I also think simply acknowledging a desire to change is good start, too. Even though I decided to do a resolution this year, it's something I want to change now, not just when 2021 starts.

Madhouse Pullet

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sometimes the things that I "resolve to do" wind up getting changed..... but then I try to think that they were changed/altered for a reason..... and try to go from there.
I truly believe in that! :) sometimes the "change of plan" is inconvenient but there's times you look back and see it was a good thing after all.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH and I usually go on a diet every New Year to lose the 10 pounds we gained after we went off the diet that we lost ten pounds on. :lol: We deny ourselves ice cream, pie, carbs, and all the good stuff that comes with calories. We suffer greatly, weigh carefully and at last! We get down to the desired weight and go for the ice cream! :yesss:

Rinse, repeat. :D =D:D =D:D =D

I have a goal of knee replacement surgery in the late summer or early fall. I will plant the garden, can, freeze and dehydrate the proceeds. I'll raise meat chickens, get them in the freezer, raise feeder pigs and get them in freezer. Then go get my knee surgery and have the winter to go to therapy and recover.

DH will be able to take care of horses, sheep, laying hens and dogs.

I want to learn new recipes. I made orange chicken a few weeks ago and it was awesome! Making potstickers tomorrow. I have a recipe for making corn tortillas from Painted Mountain corn that I grew. I want more recipes to use the vegetables and meat that I raise.

Covid 19 has been a wake up call for many. Seed companies ran out of seeds. Slaughter facilities got booked up and are booked into 2022. All of a sudden, everyone wants to be a farmer and raise something to eat. I congratulate these people and hope they stick with it. For me, it underscored why I garden and raise animals. Lockdown? We were happy right here on our farm doing what we always do. There were a few holes in my SHTF preparations.

I will save more seeds and try to keep varieties separate.
I will plant more diverse vegetables.
I will buy and keep a 3 year supply of canning lids. (buying all I can when I find them LOL)

We gave away a lot of vegetables, eggs and meat in 2020. Meat and eggs quantity is fixed, but I can increase the garden for 2021.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule I agree that lockdown did not change my own raising of my foods. But it will increase my 2021 vigilance in some same areas you mention. Xtra lids and larger garden. I may add CCX to my supply -- still unsure with that. I'm good now but, late into season I will be wanting more lids to go into winter and start 2022.

Since I feel like I'm bordering being a hermit now, guess I need to look at my social skills. :lol: my part time work and occasional auction is it! Well, there's the trips to TSC. Wow, a social butterfly!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
CCX is a good way to add a LOT of meat to the freezer or canner in a very SHORT time. I raised a batch of 50 in spring 2020 and raised another batch of 45 in fall of 2020. I sold most of them, stocking other people's freezers LOL. But I got lots of unwanted chicken parts to can for the dogs. Plus the chicken we kept for ourselves and DD and family.

I have a fantastic orange chicken recipe!

Latest posts