Official Poll: What is your BIGGEST worry about your herd?

What is your BIGGEST worry about your herd?

• How I can pay for their medical care in case they get sick

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • That they will get eaten by predators (foxes, wolves, etc.)

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • That they are healthy

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • That they could die and leave me. I’m just not ready for that!

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • That I am providing him/her the right nutrition that he/she needs

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • That they could he be sick and I’m not aware of it

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • That he would run away and never come back

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • That they can't stand the adverse weather conditions

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Others

Votes: 13 18.8%

• Total voters

Frampton

Just born
Reaction score
My major concerns starting out is that I am looking after them right. That includes if they are healthy, am I take proper care of them and if they can stand our weather. I live on a hilltop and get some wicked snow drifts and ice storms.

Deercreek

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I checked unaware of sickness. CAE doesn't always show symptoms, and bio security with my chickens has given me nightmares, hoping goats are hardier than birds.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
It's hurricane and tornado weather and lately, my biggest worry is a tornado and that they will get swept away! :(

ValiantFarmAz

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I voted other. MY town is trying to pass ordinances that regulate how many animals you can have. To date they have shot down ordinances using Animal Units and are favoring 8 chickens & 3 small farm animals on 10,000sq ft. lots with 1 additional chicken and 1 small farm animal on each additional 5,000 sq ft. The biggest problem is their definition of small farm animal- rodent, rabbit, 2 species of mini/dwarf goat. All other goats, alpacas, emus, ostriches, all sheep (my entire flock), cattle and horses would be illegal, even on our 2.5 acres and our neighbors 5+ acres which were all zoned residential when the town annexed our land from the county. They even have screening and baffle requirements for aquaponics systems and greenhouses with vented air or heat systems.... just absurd.

Harbisgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I voted other. MY town is trying to pass ordinances that regulate how many animals you can have. To date they have shot down ordinances using Animal Units and are favoring 8 chickens & 3 small farm animals on 10,000sq ft. lots with 1 additional chicken and 1 small farm animal on each additional 5,000 sq ft. The biggest problem is their definition of small farm animal- rodent, rabbit, 2 species of mini/dwarf goat. All other goats, alpacas, emus, ostriches, all sheep (my entire flock), cattle and horses would be illegal, even on our 2.5 acres and our neighbors 5+ acres which were all zoned residential when the town annexed our land from the county. They even have screening and baffle requirements for aquaponics systems and greenhouses with vented air or heat systems.... just absurd.

Wow, that sounds as bad as California. Awful feeling, I'm sorry :(

Harbisgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I selected . I'm new t
I selected "That they could he be sick and I’m not aware of it". I’m new to goats and as someone else said, they can seem fine one minute and be dead the next. I work hard to keep them healthy and happy to prevent any issues but it’s always on my mind.

I tried to go back and do “Other” but it won’t let me edit my vote (even though it says multiple votes allowed?). My ‘other’ is also hay shortage. Here in CA we are suffering from a bad drought. Alfalfa is going for $18 - $20 for a small square bale (I’ve never seen large round bales available in our area) and sometimes the quality is questionable. And it will only get more expensive.
o goats and as someone else said,

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a herd, but I would be worried about feed shortage, pasture shortages in cases of drought, buying animals without knowing what communicable diseases they could have (such as BVD), breeding ability of my bulls along with their annual semen quality for breeding cows, the markets as greybeard mentioned, whether I left the gate open after I was out feeding or working with the animals (especially if I don't remember shutting and locking it up properly!), what kind of threats the next few thunderstorms will bring (from tornadoes to lightning), and others. Theft is kinda low on the list, but it's always a possibility.

Latest posts