old bedding

junkman

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would like to know what you all do with your Goats old hay bedding, when you do a total clean out? do you just pile it up and let it rot? or do you turn it under in the garden? or ????
I look forward reading what you do.

thanks
Jack

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ours goes to the compost pile first, because of the seed contained in the hay itself. Our hay here locally is bermuda and some will have roots included, which will grow when rehydrated....also, will contain seeds blown around in the air. It has always been our practice....even tho goat poop doesn't have to be composted itself. The only bedding that may go to the garden right away is the duck's....after it is finished in their yard it is pretty much soil anyway....we pull the bedding out of their pen and leave it in the yard to age and give them something to bill in without digging holes in the dirt.....we have slick clay soil, so it helps with their footing and ours as well.....:)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Mine goes into a compost pile I'm using as a water runoff dam. Every time it rains I can be assured the entire pile gets wet. :D An additional benefit is that as the water filters through the pile, lots of nutrients get washed out to feed the pasture down slope.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine goes into a compost pile I'm using as a water runoff dam. Every time it rains I can be assured the entire pile gets wet. :D An additional benefit is that as the water filters through the pile, lots of nutrients get washed out to feed the pasture down slope.
Oh... OK....

Let me change my answer to yours... sounds better... ;)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
In the winter I spread it in low spots where I have to walk, keeps the mud down. In the summer I pile it where ever I can find room and then the goats play on it. Eventually it ends up in the orchard or spread in the pastures. We have a manure spreader that we might actually use some day.

Jeanne Sheridan

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would like to know what you all do with your Goats old hay bedding, when you do a total clean out? do you just pile it up and let it rot? or do you turn it under in the garden? or ????
I look forward reading what you do.

thanks
Jack
We have a compost area just for that bedding hay. After about a year it makes a great garden augmentation. You can use it directly but I’ve fit the “aged” compost easier to work with in my garden

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have just been piling it up in the wooded area. Maybe we will use some manure in the garden this year, I have not decided yet.
As for the bedding from the chicken coop, I put some around my blueberry bushes and some I toss in the raspberry patches, the rest in the woods.

Jeanne Sheridan

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
In the winter I spread it in low spots where I have to walk, keeps the mud down. In the summer I pile it where ever I can find room and then the goats play on it. Eventually it ends up in the orchard or spread in the pastures. We have a manure spreader that we might actually use some day.
We do the same thing with the drier hay going in low muddy spots during the winter.

Latest posts