old goat down

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another thing, you mentioned a heart murmur and a goat the is low in selenium could very well have a heart murmur. It is also called white muscle disease and it will affect the heart. You can give her a Bo-Se injection and you should see improvement in 24 hours if that is the problem.

Also, I don't know where you live but liver fluke is another possibility.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
2x on everything babs said!!!

I'm not going to lie, she looks really bad :(

Ok- a fecal was run but what did the vet see?

Really wish you mentioned that she has bald patches and is very thin earlier.

I suspect you have several issues going on right now...

Mineral depletion and parasites- both internal and external can cause this. You need to have a mineral analysis run, I would not wait on this. I believe PADLS will do the analysis-
http://www.padls.org/index.html

If they aren't getting proper minerals their parasite resistance goes down. Babs is right that you can also get a murmur.

It doesn't sound like these vets are really familiar with caprines, not trying to down them but goats aren't like other livestock. Do you have another vet or even a very experienced goat breeder come out and look her over?

Last edited:

jen miller

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm from Pa. She did get a few vit shots when the vet was here. And she has one more shot left for that whole worm thing she had/ has going on. The vet should be calling tomorrow with the blood results

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would make sure that the vitamin shot is Bo-Se (probably is, but ask anyways). Also like @Goat Whisperer said, check for external parasites too...lice and mites. If she does not have Johne's then I would for sure do a mineral analysis and treat her for liver flukes. Do you have irrigated pasture? The treatment for liver flukes is Ivermectin PLUS.

jen miller

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We just said about calling another vet in. Your right. She doesn't look good. Her hair is rough looking. But It has been. I just took it as being 10 years old. I'm sorry. Her feed she gets is supposed to have all that mineral stuff and what she needs in it. She does have a heart mummur. The vet said she didn't hear any difference from when she was here the last time. (Just last week tho) I'm saving these msgs and I am gonna tell the vet, new or old or both. Whoever we bring in to see her and see what they say. Thank you guys all so much for your advise. I really can't thank you enough.

jen miller

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She isn't a pasture goat. We give her grain and her hay. They both get like a cup of grain a daym Every now and then we will stick her out in the field to eat up some grass , but it's not often and obviously not lately.. They have the run of the whole barn. And then the outside part of it.

Reactions: TAH

jen miller

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You guys must think I'm the most inexperienced goat person out there. Lol. And really, after hearing all of this... I am. I never did 4H w mine. They are strictly my pets for me to love. And other than a few bumps in the road here or there. We haven't had too much of a problem w them. My husband like i said is the farm guy. But at their farm they have cows. So he was a better off then myself w goats but still kinda in the dark. Just going by live stock in general. We've had these well Bella for 8 years and Emma for 6 or 7. So everything you guys tell me , I handed the phone right over to him. Bc he knows what this means and that means. Whatever her outcome is, she's had the best life a goat could ever have. Your neck of the woods seems to know more than my neck of the woods w this, yes your definitely right on that @Goat Whisperer . You guys have all been so wonderful. Once we hear from the vet and mayne call the other one in for his two cents, I will update you all :hugs

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You don't provide your goats minerals? Goats need the minerals... in addition to hay/feed/pasture, free choice. They shouldn't be generic but should be formulated for goats so they have the proper balance and copper which some others who also need minerals can't or shouldn't have. You should use the granulated, not a block, as the block can damage their teeth. Low copper and selenium commonly causes coat issues and eventually other problems similar to what you're experiencing. I think maybe Babs hit it right on here.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
What @Latestarter said. Grain and hay for a goat, even the best you can get of both is not going to give them the minerals they need. Copper and selenium are a huge battle for most every goat owner. She needs a good mineral for goats, Purina, Manna Pro, Sweetlix, are the names of some I see. She needs a loose mineral, not a block, and even then on occasion they may need a bolus or an injection. Multi-Min 90 is an injectable that you can get from Jeffers with a prescription. I do it every 4 months. Her coat just shouts out to me that she needs a mineral.

Livestock can have a steep learning curve and I have been lucky to have an amazing goat vet and a mentor. It takes a village to raise a goat and if you have had Bella for 8 years you must be doing something right or she survives on love. :) If the Johne's test is negative please talk to the vet about the mineral analysis.