One kid so far, wondering if there is another?

Livestock lover

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My 7 year old Boer cross doe just had a kid (about 1:45) with little trouble, I pulled a tiny bit because she wasn't making progress after the hooves and head appeared. The kid is doing very well and is standing and drinking.

Now I am concerned because the afterbirth has not appeared and neither has another kid. She usually has twins. Soon after the first kid she continued to have contractions but not really anymore. She is pretty chill and unconcerned, mainly standing Her belly is still quite large. I reached in about a foot not quite up to my elbow and felt no kid. I tried bouncing her and didn't feel anything particularly hard although her belly is quite firm.

Thoughts? Is #2 still in there?

Thanks guys and gals!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Has anything else happened since she kidded? If you went elbow deep and didn't feel anything - and if she's acting normal she's probably finished. I had several of my does who "always" twin or triplet have single babies this year. Sometimes they just need a break, lol.

Is there any afterbirth yet? Is the baby nursing? Nursing will help stimulate her to pass the placenta - but if not she may need an injection of Oxytocin. If she hasn't passed it by morning I'd definitely try to get an injection for her. It's prescription so you'll need to get it from a vet or maybe a goat friend might have some if you don't.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Should have passed afterbirth by now. Should have passed a second, if in there. Many will eat the afterbirth...gross. I know but, it's instinct for predation....and huge nutrition in it. How soon after kid delivered did you check?

Your choices.....1.call vet or 2.keep close watch and wait. Closely watch temp of doe, her habits and emotional/physical demeanor. She may have just produced a single. 😊.

If a retained placenta, normally lethargy, temp and need for a vet at once. It can take a couple days to show and can be a major problem.

Livestock lover

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies! Mom and baby still doing well. The baby is nursing and pretty chipper. The afterbirth got passed last night so I figure she's done.

How soon would she look sick if there was a kid in her still?

Latest posts