Opinions on Central Asian Ovcharkas?

Carrosaur

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Im thinking of getting another dog and very interested in CAO's. Been doing a lot of research for the past 5-6 months, but want opinions. Does anyone here own them or did own them in the past? How are they with poultry?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are family /property guardians not LGD's.
More of a protection dog.

You will need to have fully fenced property 6'.

You will need to check with your insurance company as well.. you may need additional policy or you may be dropped... this is a breed on the "do not like to insure" list.

If you want a poultry dog get a dog and just train it. You don't need a LGD for poultry.

Did some looking for someone else... I liked the theory, and the fact that she is a trainer as well as does behavior rehabilitation.
http://www.rockhillcaucasians.com/

Carrosaur

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh not looking for a poultry dog, Moose is great with the birds. Just wondering if there was anyone here who maybe had them around poultry and how they were. More looking into a working pet, we don't need a guard dog necessarily but would love to train one. The woman I did CGC with does protection too. We have a 6 foot fence, so should be good there.

Thank you for the link! Very interesting.

tressa27884

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There is a man on Facebook (John Del Rio), he breeds CO's and is happy to talk about them. There are lots of people who use them as LGD's.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will have to check him out.
Curious as to them utilized as LGD's in this country. Don't see it often and those that say theirs are end up having 2 sheep. LOL

Thanks for the link! :)

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
My sister got one of these from a breeder who had brought them over from Russia...wouldn't say what she paid for it but I think it was over a thousand. Got him as a pup. Tied him up to an old horse trailer and that's where he's lived for the past 4-5 yrs as she kept waiting until she had her farm situated in such a way that she could use him with the sheep....and, of course, that will never happen and, meanwhile, she keeps losing sheep to coyotes and bears.

She finally got him neutered this past year. Poor dog has been on that chain for his entire life. Nice dog too, probably could have been taught to watch livestock just fine if started as a pup. Beautiful dog. :(

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Being chained his entire life, I'm surprised he hasn't gotten mean/have behavior issues. That's a real shame.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hide

If I spent that kind of money on a dog it would live in a mansion, not on a chain.

I see them pop up in discussion on this forum from time to time. I had never heard of them before.

Aren't they property guardians, though?

France@smiley7farm

Just born
Reaction score
We have a CO cross that was brought up around the chickens and rabbits and accepted the goats when we got them. Also from day one we taught her to react to the guinea fowl warning call so whenever a fox or buzzard is in the vicinity the dog knows something is wrong even when she is in the house one thing i will say is find a low energy dog so that it doesn't upset the balance as they can be soppy and boisterous :)