Orange sheep pee?

Cotton*wood

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If they increased their water intake because it was warmer and therefore more to their liking, the increase likely flushed out their kidneys better. It will probably take a day or 2 and then the color should go back to light yellow. With that much cold they just probably were only drinking what they had to and not what they really wanted because of the cold.
Oh sigh. This so seems true. Tonight it's going down to 4F again, and since I just don't have it in me to carry buckets of hot water 1/4 mile out to where they are, I brought them in again, and they were all sucking down the heated duck-tank water. Alas. Two nights of these temps, and then it will be above freezing during the day again.

LisaManahan

Just born
Reaction score
What does it mean when a ewe's pee is orange? (I only know because the snow drifted so high on the electric net fences that they're all shorted out, so I had to move the sheep into the duck yard, where I can see their pee.)
Read all the comments. Just curious, What color are they peeing now?

Cotton*wood

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Read all the comments. Just curious, What color are they peeing now?
Can't really tell--the snow melted. But I assume it's normal, as they've been drinking a lot from the heated duck tank. It's back out to the pasture today, where they'll have cold(er) water, but that's just the way it'll have to be. For most of sheep's history, they have not had heated water, and most of the people I know who keep Katahdins just do what I do--break the ice in the morning, bring out buckets of hot water, etc.