Organic pigs-- wormer?

Oreo

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I finally got my first two pigs and they are about 15-20 lbs. They seem to be pretty healthy. The guy I got them from said they'd be ready to worm in about three weeks (2 weeks now). I am not necessarily raising them in a strictly organic way, but I do want to practice organic medical procedures as much as possible, within reason. Has anybody here had pigs and either not wormed them, or used some natural or organic product to worm with? Is not worming them a totally bad idea? I can go ahead and worm them if so. I just wanted to know about other peoples' experiments and experience.

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
pumpkin. its a natural wormer.

can you believe it? just throw in some pumpkins.. seeds and all. works like a dream AND they love it. you might want to break one open so they know they are yummy.

if you're lucky you have some in the garden.. or you know someone (friend/farm stand) who has some "ugly" ones that you can have.

cant beat it with a stick.

:)

there are some wormers that you can put in their feed. we used it one year but havent since then. for "one season pigs" using pumpkin works for us. our have grown out really well and we havent had any problems.

i'm sure some of the hog guys have some suggestions tho..

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Feed them black walnuts...hulls and all. The hulls are an excellent dewormer, as are the shells, which work along the lines of the DE for cutting into worm bodies. The nutmeats are great nutrition too.

My grandmother and my mother always gave the pigs their soapy dishwater mixed into the pig's slop. The soap will dissolve the oily coating protecting the worm's bodies and allows the gastric juices to kill them.

Garlic is a great tonic and dewormer as well. Just give them a couple of fresh cloves in their feed....pigs aren't too picky about their foods and will love the garlic.

Not deworming at all is not a good choice with pigs....we never used a chemical dewormer on ours when I was growing up but we did use the soapy water trick and walnuts. Our pigs were all quite healthy.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Really? Black walnuts??? I have several trees! Woohoo!!! And pumpkins will be coming in soon in large quantities. Gotta run next door tomorrow and ask which field is ready to glean, as they have been bringing pumpkins to their farmstand by the truckload in the past two days. Yippee! More free stuff, love it!

nmred

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thought I'd bump this back up for those who will be starting pigs this spring (like me!) which is the wrong season for black walnuts and pumpkins. Molly's Herbal Wormer that many of us use on our goats can also be used on pigs! https://www.fiascofarm.com/herbs/mollysherbals.php/categories/herbal-wormer

I haven't used it yet on pigs (but will this spring when we get ours), but can verify that it works great for goats. I've used it for 2 years now on my goats, and have no worm problems. I'm sure it will do a great job for the pigs as well.

Ron Brignac

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Thought I'd bump this back up for those who will be starting pigs this spring (like me!) which is the wrong season for black walnuts and pumpkins. Molly's Herbal Wormer that many of us use on our goats can also be used on pigs! https://www.fiascofarm.com/herbs/mollysherbals.php/categories/herbal-wormer

I haven't used it yet on pigs (but will this spring when we get ours), but can verify that it works great for goats. I've used it for 2 years now on my goats, and have no worm problems. I'm sure it will do a great job for the pigs as well.

How did your pigs do on the herbal solution from Mollys Herbal? We are researching ways to deworm our pigs. Many thanks, Ron

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use Molly’s herbal for my whole farm..but also use pumpkin everywhere...when I’ve done fecal floats on my birds...everyone came back clean. Molly’s herbal is easy to use, directions are pretty easy after you read it twice...and very affordable!

Latest posts