Parents are “moonspotted”… but…?

DummyDrqgon

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi! I have had Rin (my Nigerian dwarf buck) for 3 years.
I was looking through the adga website for the first time today and I was looking at Rin’s pedigree. I wanted to see what color his parents were, just for fun, and in both his parents descriptions it said they were moonspotted? From my knowledge, if both parents have moonspots then the kid defined will, right?
Rin is black with minimal white and has no Moonspots from what I can see. He has thrown 9 kids since we’ve had him and none of them had moonspots (then again, we never looked for moonspots). Now, on his dads pedigree, both Rin’s grand sire and grand dam don’t have moonspots in their description, although, His grand dam is “black & white spotted” so I’m guessing they just made a mistake and Rin’s dad isn’t moonspotted?

Did the owner(s) of his parents just make a mistake and THINK their goats had moonspots when they really didn’t?

Does my goat have moonspots and I just don’t know? If so, how had he not had moonspotted kids?

Is my knowledge wrong about moonspots and he’s not guaranteed moonspots, even though both his parents have them?

(we never saw Rin’s parents, we met halfway with the owner to pick him up.)

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, he may NOT have inherited those genetics -- IF they were moon spotted, not justed paints -- and parents were not homozygous for such. I have Boer goats that are traditional, paint, spotted, dappled, solid browns, solid blacks. There is a variance in kid colors depending on genetics received from each parent. They will throw kid colors based on those received.

Maybe get pics of parents? It could solve if they were misinterpreted color listed.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are not guaranteed moonspots even if the parents have them. Color genes are complex and nd are not a color breed to boot.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not being a goat person, but understanding color genetics in general, I had to wonder whether moonspots are dominant or recessive. So I googled it, and it sounds like they are dominant. I guess I don’t want to link to a competing forum, but I found a discussion where they said that some moonspots are so small that it’s hard to detect them. So, it’s possible that your Rin may have some few tiny hairs here or there that are moonspotted and you just can’t find them.

But what’s also very likely is that both of his parents were heterozygous for moonspotting, and he just happened to get the normal gene from both of them. (25% chance of that happening.)