Paris Has Begun Lamb Training

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Paris can do whatever she wants to. For some reason she wants to come in, goes to the back door, down the steps to the backyard. Then out the open gate, back around to the front. :lol:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Paris had the 7 keeper ewe youngsters to guard until I dry lotted them at the back of the sheep barn. Then we slaughtered the Cornish Cross chickens and that left her only 8 young chickens to guard. I guess she got bored. She is happy to dig craters under the high end of the porch. Carson and Trip lay up under the other end of the porch, but they creep under the porch while Paris can easily walk under her end.

@Beekissed you are right, we are going to miss her when she is gone. My first LGD, she has taught me so much. She has always gotten preferential treatment because she is such a psycho dog, her advanced old age has calmed her down a lot, but the crazy lurks beneath the surface. We just want her to have the best life she can until she leaves us.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Paris doesn’t know to get out of the way of the car or truck and will stand in front of them when we come or go. She just doesn’t know. She will meet us at the gate, then wanders slowly back to the porch while we creep along behind her.
:gig:gig:yuckyuck

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Couldn't find your usual post so here is the recipe I promised you. I'm still incapable of maneuvering easily around the sites.

Recipe for Summer Pickles
These are a bread and butter type pickle made with zucchini and yellow crookneck squash, red bell peppers and onions.

2 medium onions sliced thin
2 sweet red bell peppers sliced thin strips
1 quart zucchini squash sliced about 1/4" thick
1 quart crookneck squash sliced about 1/4" thick

Toss vegetables all together in large bowl, sprinkle with 1/4 cup pickling salt, cover with ice water for 2 hours. Drain well - do not rinse.

Syrup
2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
4 cups white sugar
1 tsp. turmeric
2 tsps. celery seed
1 1/2 tsp. mustard seed
2 tsps. powdered alum
1 cinnamon stick, broken

In a large kettle, bring syrup ingredients to a boil, then simmer 10 minutes. Add drained squash, onions, and peppers. Bring pickles to a full boil and IMMEDIATELY remove from heat. Put in clean hot jars leaving 1/2" headspace.

Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

This recipe will make 4 pints. I usually put it in the taller 12 ounce jars which will make 7 of these jars. I like them in the taller jars so you can see the colors. This is a pretty pickle for gifts too.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Paris slept on the porch one night, highly unusual for her!
Our DD and husband went to Italy for 10 days, we have had their 3 girls and 3 dogs for almost 2 weeks. They will be here today, do laundry, rest and leave in the morning for Corpus Christi to see their new house. Their offer was accepted and they haven’t seen it yet.
Since Paris abandoned the back yard, we filled holes at the back fence with horse manure from the barn. The dogs go out in the mornings for a couple of hours, dig, wallow in the sand, get wet with dew and the little dirt bags come in happy and hungry. They eat, go back out and are having a great time. It’s awesome having a safe back yard for them. Paris doesn’t even care that intruders are in her yard. Before, she would have been attacking through the fence, barking and growling, then digging to get in. I like this Paris!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Paris is enjoying her retirement. In an emergency she will probably go back to her vigorous response, but since she now has several younger dogs to do all that running and patrolling she can take it easy. She is doing the doggy equivalent of kicking back in the lounger and enjoying a cool drink. Just don't give her the remote. ;)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
All stories come to an end.