Pastor Dave's Highlights

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a question for the cheese expert :)
My local family owned store deli stopped selling muenster because (amazingly to me) few people were buying it. The muenster at the chain store is seriously lousy. But Costco (all sizes appropriate for a family of 10) has a 2 pound container of Finlandia which is quite good. However we don't eat it fast enough and it starts to mold. Now the question:
Can I freeze cheese? If I put parchment or wax paper between slices, can I freeze it in 1/2 pound units?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce, have you asked them if they would special order for you? If you have a set amount each week, month, etc. MOST times this will come in with other product they get from the supplier. While they may not want to give it space in their case -- or lose $$ with no sales -- they may be ok to get some for a sure sell. Then, it may depend on quantity required & how packaged for them to do this. A thought. I would order it for you! :)

Sounds like some extreme weather Pastor Dave. We had the North winds, some actually light rains (less than predicted) and now 40mph winds! First day of the "blow in" had heavier rain and snow mixed. Of course, nothing stuck but, some people were in panic mode in the stores. These winds are quite annoying when you are trying to get hay out for 30 head of goats & minis! Plus it's a biting wind with temps in upper 30s. Ahhhh…..if that's all I have to complain about, I'm good!!:lol:

Of course, the main attraction for our Spring gardens is wishing away the awful winter cold and doldrums. Seed catalogues arriving soon. :pop

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have frozen cheese before. It was crumbly when it thawed out. So I stopped thawing it in the refrigerator and left it on the counter until it thawed to room temperature.
And when thawed at room temp did it then not get crumbly?

Then, it may depend on quantity required & how packaged for them to do this.
That would be the issue. The cheese comes in big square "towers". I don't know how much is in each one but my guess is it is in excess of 5#. I'm sure Ray would order it for me if I asked but there is no way we would use that much cheese given we don't even get through the 2 pound Costco package. And there might be a > 1 minimum quantity for him to order. He decided to give Boar's Head Applewood smoked "uncured" ham a try after we talked about my migraine issues with nitrates. Turned out he had to order 3 from his supplier, couldn't get just one to see how it sold. Fortunately it sold well and he still carries it.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
And when thawed at room temp did it then not get crumbly?

That would be the issue. The cheese comes in big square "towers". I don't know how much is in each one but my guess is it is in excess of 5#. I'm sure Ray would order it for me if I asked but there is no way we would use that much cheese given we don't even get through the 2 pound Costco package. And there might be a > 1 minimum quantity for him to order. He decided to give Boar's Head Applewood smoked "uncured" ham a try after we talked about my migraine issues with nitrates. Turned out he had to order 3 from his supplier, couldn't get just one to see how it sold. Fortunately it sold well and he still carries it.
Cheese, butter milk and eggs can all be frozen..when cheese is BOGO I buy 2 and get 4....three go to the freezer.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have a piece of the cheese you LIKE? Freeze & thaw.

Depends on type cheese, how processed and preservative, etc. Some types freeze & thaw ok, others, not as well.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am not an expert at freezing cheese, but I do know some that take it home in bulk and freeze it. They don't voice complaints, so I'm not sure how it holds up as it thaws. I'm sure the types do thaw different than others with various moisture content.

Latest posts