Pastor Dave's Highlights

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
The stupid bug seems better a day, then back with a vengeance the next day and three to follow. Why won't it GO AWAY!?

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sick or not, I had to clean out the rabbit shed and all that soiled straw, hay, and manure. Big job for critters weighing
5-10lbs. Ok, I may have a couple 10-12lbs.

20180224_143751.jpg

It looks and smells a lot better now.

20180224_155242.jpg

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bunnylady, I have a Sr. buck with horrible respiratory issue. It sounds like a person with a cold and bad congestion. He doesn't sound rattly all the time, but when he is worked up or more active it is heard in each breath and then he gives a series of sneezes or coughs. I do not know what to do for him. Anything that might help would be appreciated because I am considering having to put him out of his misery. He is eating and still drinking. I have been putting mint extract in his 32oz water bottle. It is just a drop and still smells pretty strong. I thought it might help, but that's been for the last 4 or 5 days and no noticeable improvement.

Thanks, Dave

HaloRabbits

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Bunnylady, I have a Sr. buck with horrible respiratory issue. It sounds like a person with a cold and bad congestion. He doesn't sound rattly all the time, but when he is worked up or more active it is heard in each breath and then he gives a series of sneezes or coughs. I do not know what to do for him. Anything that might help would be appreciated because I am considering having to put him out of his misery. He is eating and still drinking. I have been putting mint extract in his 32oz water bottle. It is just a drop and still smells pretty strong. I thought it might help, but that's been for the last 4 or 5 days and no noticeable improvement.

Thanks, Dave
Hmm interesting. We had a horse in our barn a few years back who was doing something similar. Turned out he had allergies or something similar. We got a big improvement when we starting spraying down his hay before giving it to him. :hu

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have had nothing interesting to journal on for a while, but my kids found what I believe is a baby squirrel in our driveway. I haven't got a pic yet. It is almost exact same size as 2 or 3 day old rabbit kits. I would have thought one of the kids took one of my kits out of a nest box except it is different color than any of mine. It's a brown color and has its eyes still closed. I have seen baby cotton tails, and this is wrong color for them too. It's tail looks longer than rabbit's and why I think it could grow out to a squirrel's. I believe a hawk may have accidentally dropped it or one of the feral cats around here. I picked it up and as soon as it felt my palm, it tried to suck. I have to admit, I wear gloves for rough work and do not have toughened hands. I put it in a nest box with kits that haven't opened their eyes yet and the doe seems to have accepted it. If I can get a pic, I will. I do not know anyone else around raising domestic rabbits, so it is a mystery. :weee

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
That thing will be running rings around you (literally) in an amazingly short time. Often one will get knocked out of a nest. I had one for almost 10 years but she was a mutant so never was a problem trying to act like a squirrel. Her front legs were deformed and she spent her time walking on her elbows.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
If there is a tree close by ya can probably see the nest in it....it will look like a big wad of leaves stuck in the branches....probably got blown out with some of these storms moving thru that area. They can get mean when they are maturing...especially during mating season....:)

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi Dave. I am getting over the crud too...I to had to clean the bunny shed.... thought I would tell you a cure for respiratory allergies. The gal I got our polish from told me it. I put nolvasan solution and vinegar in a spray bottle, roughly 50/50 and top off wits water. Then any bunnies with an occasional sneeze or whatever I spray daily.... it also is good as a cage disinfectant. They hate it.... but works. I haven't had any issues for 9 months or more... I use it on all my new rabbits too. Am told it won't cure pasterella, just allergies.