Pastor Dave's Highlights

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have been busy lately in my free time stripping down a 1930's Savage model 24 Over and under .22/.410gua
It's coming along.
Getting ready to do some culling today and not looking forward to it. It's gotta get done though.

I looked for a recent post for @Bruce but just replies showing up. I've been inactive a while, what have you been up to?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll p
I looked for a recent post for @Bruce but just replies showing up. I've been inactive a while, what have you been up to?
I will post in a minute, just got 6 chicks this morning. Otherwise not much of interest so I end up sticking little things in other people's journals.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have been busy lately in my free time stripping down a 1930's Savage model 24 Over and under .22/.410gua
It's coming along.
Getting ready to do some culling today and not looking forward to it. It's gotta get done though.

Been looking for one of those guns. My son has one but it was his fathers, my ex, so it is better that I don't have it here at my house.......I REALLY like that little gun. My son bought me one with barrels that are exchangeable, not a savage, but I really liked having both right there together. One will turn up somewhere....

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yah, there's actually Savage Model 24 fan clubs. You'll find one. I hope to get this one put back together and get a good pic of it put on here. I went with a dark walnut on the stocks, blued the barrel, and chromed the receiver.

Side note: I used aerosol sprays from Duracoat that does gun metal and auto body coatings.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had to cull a doe of mine yesterday that I have had 3 years. Hardest I've had to do. She was gentle, but recently just eating. Her production was way down and I don't keep them for pets. No one wants a large rabbit not really handled much for a pet, and she wouldn't be great for a breeder for someone getting started, so she had to go.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Culling is no fun, but we have them to produce for us. I have to admit a soft spot though......I just had a 7 year old hen die that I just couldn't butcher. But chickens don't eat much and one more in the coop doesn't take up much room. A rabbit takes up a cage that can be given to one that will produce litters of bunnies for you.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have to make a confession. I always told folks that asked how I could kill the babies, the young offspring. I would say, they don't seem so soft, cute, and loveable when they are putting great big scratches on your arms, hands, and ribs when handling them. It makes the slaughter process way easier. Here's where the confession comes in. I almost rather they scratch or try to run away because it makes it easier.

The doe yesterday remained gentle even though she was understandably nervous. That was a hard one. I told her I was sorry and that she had been a good doe. I prayed God wouldn't hold it against me, and I made it quick. I started with her so she wouldn't smell or sense the process once it had started. That would have made her more scared.

I am determined not to get as familiar with my other breeders that remain. I have a buck that has been promised to live out his life. Now I have CT that has been made the same promise. However, my other breeders don't get that guarantee, and I need to remember that.

And, for the reason why I started doing this and plan to keep doing it; we have roasted rabbit tonight for supper! Mmm-mmmm, good.