Pearce Pastures: Where did I go?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! You have a beautiful home!

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh my word, I love your kitchen and dining room... and the space to move around. You much be so pleased with your progress!

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Wicked weather here. I was so excited to get started on my dozens of outdoor projects now that the house is done but it seems we will have to wait a bit more. Last weekend was wonderful, getting up to 50 degrees and the kids and I almost knocked out one project: getting a dry river bed built as a place for our perimeter drain to pump into. It looks great so far. We trenched about 30 feet away from the house and laid pipe, then dug a deep and wide pit to fill with rocks and boulders. That was a doozy, moving all of those huge stones. Once the spring actually arrives, I am planning to line it with lots of plants and stick a few fruit trees behind it.

The two big items on our to-do list are the pasture fence and poultry runs. All is measured out, designed, and we just need to get the parts and put it in. The blizzard put it on hold as I was sure gunning to get the fence done within two weeks. Hay is running out and I really don't want to go trying to find more at this point, especially when there is so much grass and woody plants that the goats could take a crack at.

Soon enough I suppose.

The birds have not had access to the actual outdoors for a year now. They have windows and we do open the barn door for sunshine and air but it is no substitute for letting them play in the open air (well, mostly open---I had a wire pen with a top before to keep them safe from predators and that is the plan for this time too).

Gemmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The new barn is done. Well kind of. Now we are going be working hard on putting up pens so we can move the animals in.
barn14_zps042c0ea1.jpg
I kinda have in mind one of these on smaller scale for a simple house and another for kennel.
thanks for nice photos.
Gemmer

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
The pasture fence is going up! We have three sections to it for does, bucks, and then a working area in case we need to separate some for whatever reason. I am so excited to let the animals have more room to run, play, and eat. The wood posts are all in the ground and today we will cement corners and pack the rest with dirt. Not sure if we will get to actually stretching the fencing but hoping we do. It will probably take a week or so to get this done, and then we are running a strand of hotwire around the inside.

Kidding season for the Boers is over and we kept 3 wethers for show this year and a few others for freezer stock. Next week the Nigerian's are due so we start all over :weee

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Hi Backyarders!

I have been offline for quite sometime dealing with a busy season of life. The homestead is going great, and as always, I busy myself with that never ending to-do list.

This weekend, we moved my garden so that next year it is easier to manage, a bit closer to the house. We did a lot of canning this year, tomatoes, salsa, and then froze a bunch of veggies. I think next year we will be set up better to really stock the pantry and quit buying much in the way of sauces, canned veggies and whatnot.

This weekend was also very much time to muck out the goat pen. I have done it lightly here and there in the last 12 months but a deep cleaning was needed and DH was home. Took 5 hours to dig it all out, dust cobwebs, clean sleep shelves and all that. Boy does it feel get to have that done.

Well, I will try to be back online here more.