Pick them up by the scruff or not?

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I picked up my rabbits by brushing their ears back and gathering up their ears and scruff together and lifting them up. The other hand went under their bottom to carry their weight. I placed their heads in the crook of my arm, hugging their body next to me, but be warned. If the rabbit is not accustomed to being carried like this, it will kick and can scratch your belly, so wear a jacket or heavy shirt.
I have handled hundreds of rabbits this way.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've always picked mine up by the scruff and never had a problem. That said, I pick them up and then immediately hold them like a football. Picking them up by the scruff is literally just for that, picking them up, not handling them.

Dawnclucks22

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think if the rabbit is small enough with a fairly thick scruff you could pick it up that way but don't hold it like that.

Missmonty

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I scruff to restrain if absolutely needed. To carry I hold the rabbit like a football basically, I have one doe that's a wild lunatic so when I handle her I scruff to make sure she doesn't hurt herself or me but I wouldn't pick her up like that. I think its a necessary tool in some situations but there are definitely better options. I do know rabbits skin can bruise easily. I have seen people who have butchered their meat rabbits that use that as a way to hold them without supporting them and you could actually see bruising on the rabbit from it.

Latest posts