Pictures that capture LGDs

TexasShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
MonsterMalak said:
With most of the LGDs and crosses I ran over many years, I would have never thought of having more than one pup in with adults. Because of the increased potential for gang mentality playing.

But I took a chance with the Boz Shepherds.

I have not witnessed any actions of play chase or aggression from them. I have 3 adults, and 6 pups (from 3-9 months) in the pasture with the cows, goats and Hair Sheep. The Boz have actually shown to be more relaxed and natural at accepting livestock.

The HAIRCUT is the natural shedding of the St croix Hair sheep. I did not want to worry with sheering, so opted for the St Croix. Plus, they have a resistance to the Parasites in our humid climate of East Texas.
Do you think your adults would quell any unacceptable puppy behavior?

MonsterMalak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have seem my adults place the pups on the ground for many things. But truthfully, I have never seen the pups act aggressive to the livestock. I would like to think that the adults would stop any wrong behavior though.

PBoySheep-1.jpg

Here is a 3 month old Boz Shepherd Pup with the sheep.

beckyburkheart

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I love how you captured the pups expression! Is this one that we met on Saturday? I really enjoyed meeting you and Monster and all the gang!

TexasShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I ask, as Ive witnessed my 6 month old Pyr/Ant pup trying to "play" abit with my sheep and my older Pyr simply watches, hence me having to step in..I had hoped she would direct alittle better. the pup emulates the older dog in alot of ways..but I have a running joke with my husband the older pyr is trying to get the pup into trouble so Ill get rid of said pup and the older pyr will be by herself again..;)

MonsterMalak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Becky,,,, This is Katil, the now 4 month old Boz Pup. He was 3 months old in the picture. I saw last night that he now sleeps up against our fat goat. Him and Diva think they have to have a goat bed partner. Funny to see.

Katil will jump up like he is going to attack the world at any noise to protect his GOAT. Its usually just me checking on the pups though.

MonsterMalak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here is what Livestock Guardians do when not in the pasture with the stock,,,, Go to town and get some LOVE!!!
xhm.jpg

dxtgjuhm.jpg

Or just get some sleep!!!
djum.jpg

I love the versatility of the Boz. Like a farm girl you can take dancing,,,ha ha.

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
MonsterMalak, How often do you take your LGD out of the work force to bring them out into the public to socialize? He is a handsome pup! Thank you.

beckyburkheart

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Good question!

I will say that all the dogs we meet were friendly. I know Monster has a lot of socialization from the photos, but I don't know about the others. They did watch us, but I didn't feel threatened - which I liked a lot, they seem to have a wonderful balance in that regard. And we did see them go on alert a couple of times while we were there. I also like that when we walked the pasture that a couple of the cadre came with us... friendly and watchful.

Remuda1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Love the pics of your dogs :). Here's one of my favorites
ee1080d1.jpg

Latest posts