Pig not feeling well

Llimi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a pig, a 6 month old gilt, a production pink pig weighing over 200 lbs. She has been acting oddly and off her food since yesterday, and I am hoping someone can offer me some help as I can't find anything likely in my online searches. The worrying behavior started yesterday afternoon, when she had trouble getting up when we poured some leftover vegetables in her food bowl. Normally she would come running, but she acted like she was stiff and sore, but eventually came and ate the vegetables. Then that night when I offered her her evening feed, she was still acting stiff, and did not eat. She then threw up clear liquid a few times, and laid down ignoring her food. It was a cool night so I gave her extra straw and left her. This morning she was still walking like she is stiff, and only ate a few mouthfuls of food. She did eat some Tums I offered.
The only possibly relevant things I can offer is that she has several wounds on her ears that I assume are insect bites, that are possibly infected or at least badly irritated. I covered them with oil yesterday to keep flies off. The bumps do look better today. She did not eat anything unusual in the past few days that I know of. There are bugs, frogs, toads, and snakes nearby, including a rattlesnake we killed recently. She has been confined to a small area recently due to weather, and unlikely to have hurt herself.
Any ideas? Is this something to worry about or likely to pass on its own? Any treatment you can suggest?

Llimi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
For anyone reading this in the future, the pig eventually recovered. Leg trembling and weakness was the longest-lasting symptom. I never figured out what caused it, but ten days or so later she was acting like a regular pig again.

MuldrowHomeFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
For anyone reading this in the future, the pig eventually recovered. Leg trembling and weakness was the longest-lasting symptom. I never figured out what caused it, but ten days or so later she was acting like a regular pig again.
Thanks for the update and I am sorry you got no responses. I know nothing about pigs but I am so very glad she recovered.

Latest posts