Piglet Disaster!

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just now getting caught up.

The two you lost were probably to far. If they were small and their stomachs empty for to long, at that agethey lose connections and shut down sooner than an older well established hog.

May have been to much for their systems.

Are they getting anything from the sow?

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry for your losses @Pamela. It is hard to loose animals that you have been wanting for a long time :hugs:hugs

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just now getting caught up.

The two you lost were probably to far. If they were small and their stomachs empty for to long, at that agethey lose connections and shut down sooner than an older well established hog.

May have been to much for their systems.

Are they getting anything from the sow?

I agree that the 2 we lost today were likely too far gone to save. It still sucks though. I have wondered about her supply as well. We let the piglets spend the afternoon and evening out of their kennel crate
She didn't kill them, so that's encouraging. They also got to spend more time suckling at will. Hopefully this will all smooth out and settle down so she can raise these remaining babies

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We tried to reunite the piglets with Penelope, and let them have full access to her all day today. Well, she stepped on one of the biggest ones and killed it. We have 2 1/2 piglets left. I say 1/2 because one of the survivors is small, weak, and has diarrhea. Don't know what that is about, but that's where we are today. I've pulled them all, hopefully permanently (depending on what dh says). I have electrolytes and some hog grower pellets out for them, free choice. The pellets are more for them to start nosing around in than for nutrition. When my frozen goat milk is thawed, I will prepare more formula for them to try again. The sickly one went right for the electrolytes. I don't think he has a chance to recover, but it's worth a shot. What should I be doing for the diarrhea?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use apple cider vinegar on myself when I have digestive issues. ACV even knocks out food poisoning. I mix it half and half with honey. For your piglet, I would mix ACV and honey, then mix half ACV/honey with half water. Put some in a syringe and give a little at a time, frequently. What do you have to lose?

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The sick one died, no big surprise. The other two, both gilts, are holding their own. They are feeding from a pan and are pretty fiesty. They have had some diarrhea trouble as well, but we are treating them with spectoguard and they seem to be responding. If they live another week or so, I'm going to name them, Laverne and Shirley.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The sick one died, no big surprise. The other two, both gilts, are holding their own. They are feeding from a pan and are pretty fiesty. They have had some diarrhea trouble as well, but we are treating them with spectoguard and they seem to be responding. If they live another week or so, I'm going to name them, Laverne and Shirley.

How big is the mom pig? How big is her farrowing area? If she is to big or her farrow area is to big that can cause a lot of accidental deaths. Over bedding can do the same. If she came from a confinement they use small narrow farrow crates usually...for the area where the sow is so she can not move around. Basically movement is restricted to stand and lay and even laying their legs go into the piglet area...so its snug. We do not use farrow crates we just use a piglet door. We also strive for 10-12 piglets per liter..fewer piglets gives us a higher birth weight so they are a little more sturdy and less food competition. There are however just some sows that were ment to be sausage.

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They are doing very well. In fact, I sold them today to a couple who just finished raising a litter of orphaned piglets. They raised theirs on lamb replacer and had zero fatalities. They were not put off at all by the prospect of still needing to baby them for a few more weeks. I am happy to have them go to a good home!
I've attached a picture of them. The big one is Laverne, she's very bossy, and the little one is Shirley, she is sweet and docile. The new owners are going to keep their names.:):)

Attachments

• IMG_20160619_201428490.jpg
    IMG_20160619_201428490.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 151

Latest posts