Please help - sick lamb

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am watching and reading this. I haven't had a case like this come up, so i am tagging along with you so I can learn too. I am glad that your lamb is doing better and I hope she makes a full recovery.

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am watching and reading this. I haven't had a case like this come up, so i am tagging along with you so I can learn too. I am glad that your lamb is doing better and I hope she makes a full recovery.
Glad to have you along for the ride! She’s taken an ounce or so every hour the last couple hours. After the first feeding, she’s enthusiastically taken her bottle, but just stops after an ounce-ish. I just put her out with her sisters - they were all wagging their tails hairy at the reunion. :) She started nibbling some hay, so that’s good.

On a different note: my word-play husband named our three ewes: Nique, Reka, and Betcha. I just saw one of your posts and realized you have a similar play-on-ewe name. Great minds! :cool:

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Miss Reka seems to be doing much better. She spent the afternoon romping with her sisters. While she lagged a little when they all took off running, she still chased with gusto!
1C0AFAF8-DC4E-452C-B389-D255531EC069.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad she is much better! I have a Lady Baa Baa and a Miranda LAMBert too! LOL

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Vaccination schedules over here are quite different. We vaccinate the mother ewe at 4-6 weeks before lambing with a heptavalent vaccine (confers protection against Pasteurella pneumonia and various Clostridial diseases, pulpy kidney etc). The antibodies raised by the mother ewe cross the placenta and confer immunity on the lamb via the colostrum for the first approx. 6 weeks of life. As that passive immunity wains (4-6 weeks) we then vaccinate the lambs to confer active immunity. A second dose of the vaccine is given at a further 4-6 weeks. Thereafter animals get an annual booster. I use Heptavac P Plus.
Sheepshape is right about the mother's vaccinations conferring antibodies on the lambs. In that case, vaccinating the babies at 30 days when the mom's colostrum antibodies start to wear off is fine. In the case of lambs that are bottle fed, I would definitely vaccinate early since they might not have gotten any antibodies from mom. Also, in your case, since you got the lambs so young, you don't really know if the mom had vaccinations before giving birth.

TulipAcres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Anyone have any advice to me over on a new post I started today? My lamb seems to have these similar issues except I cannot hear or feel any breathing difficulties.

Latest posts