Pls help - potentially moldy hay

AltonaAcres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So.......................I'll give you the whole situation and you can (hopefully) make me feel better. So my uncle (he has a goat in my herd) got 3 bales of hay for us on Saturday morning from our neighbors barn. They have a field of alfalfa that they cut for their horses and goats, and sell us the surplus. I think the hay we are using is 2nd or 3rd cutting. Anyways, I gave it to them that morning and didn't notice anything about it. Same thing yesterday evening, although I wasn't really checking. This morning my uncle did chores as his contribution for goat board. This evening I noticed while sectioning off some flakes to feed that the middle of the bale is a brown color, while the outside of the bale is the normal green alfalfa color. That's usually the first thing I notice with mold, non-consistent color. Then I noticed the white dust start flying. Mind you I was in a tiny enclosed shed....................kinda worried about my lungs right now. Anyways, I never *saw* the mold, but the color and dust kind of makes me think the bales are bad. Is it worth risking? My goats are pregnant just fyi. I am considering the bales as questionable, I would hate to throw them out but also am super worried right now about the goats. What would YOU do?